Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through the shuddering topics and haven't found one quite like mine.

So this never happens if I'm running in 4th it only happens in D with minimal throttle acceleration, starts at 20mph and stops about 25/30 and then starts again at 40 and can go to 50mph. Under heavier acceleration in D it doesn't happen. I would say torque converter but I would think it would happen in 4th then as well, same goes for fluid no?

Any ideas? The last AT car I had was in 98 so haven't kept up with the AT technicals.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
Guaranteed to be torque converter lockup clutch shuddering.

Will also almost guarantee that you have at least 100K miles on the vehicle and the ATF has never been changed.

If you are going to do anything, completely flush all 12 quarts of ATF, or at least perform 4-5 pan dump and refill cycles over a month or two.

Very common problem with the A750F transmission when fluid service before 100K miles has been neglected ... many threads on this forum dealing with this exact problem.

Toyota's Maintenance Guide for the FJC specifies changing the ATF at 60K mile intervals if a roof rack is used, the vehicle is "heavily loaded", or it is used for towing. Field history indicates that ATF should be changed at 60K mile intervals regardless of how the vehicle is used.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guaranteed to be lockup clutch shuddering.

Will also almost guarantee that you have at least 100K miles on the vehicle and the ATF has never been changed.

If you are going to do anything, completely flush all 12 quarts of ATF, or at least perform 4-5 pan dump and refill cycles over a month or two.

Very common problem with the A750F transmission when fluid service before 100K miles has been neglected ... may threads on this forum dealing with this exact problem.

Toyota's Maintenance Guide for the FJC specifies changing the ATF at 60K mile intervals if a roof rack is used, the vehicle is "heavily loaded", or it is used for towing. History indicates that ATF should be changes at 60K mile intervals regardless of how the vehicle is used.
Thank you for the response. I just got it 4 days ago, its an 08 with 190k. My guess is that it hasn't been changed, although the car fax shows the previous owner was religious in changing the oil lol. During the test drive I didn't notice it, which makes me think I was in 4th and not D at that time and didn't notice. I will probably just get the local dealer to do a complete flush then.

·
Registered
6 Posts

So this never happens if I'm running in 4th it only happens in D with minimal throttle acceleration, starts at 20mph and stops about 25/30 and then starts again at 40 and can go to 50mph. Under heavier acceleration in D it doesn't happen. I would say torque converter but I would think it would happen in 4th then as well, same goes for fluid no?

Any ideas? The last AT car I had was in 98 so haven't kept up with the AT technicals.

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
The best remedy I found was to replace the transmission or have it rebuilt by a reputable transmission person.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
The best remedy I found was to replace the transmission or have it rebuilt by a reputable transmission person.
What corrective action did you take before replacing the transmission?

The majority of problems with shuddering lockup clutches in the A750 transmissions are corrected by a fluid change and a few thousand miles of use.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine did the same thing. The first dealer said I needed a new torque converter would not power flush the trans....I called another dealer,they said sure...Had it done,no problem in over a year. Good Luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts

The majority of problems with shuddering lockup clutches in the A750 transmissions are corrected by a fluid change and a few thousand miles of use.

·
Registered
5,819 Posts
I did replace the fluid in the transmission, that did not help.
A few questions:
1. How many miles on the vehicle when the transmission shudder became apparent?
2. Was there any service history indicating that the transmission had ever been serviced prior to the appearance of the shudder?
3. Did you just drain and refill the 3 quarts in the transmission pan, or flush the entire 12-quart system?
4. Since the shudder originates in the lockup clutch inside the torque converter, why was the transmission replaced, rather than just the torque converter?
5. Was the transmission replacement recommended by and performed by a Toyota dealer, or by an independent transmission shop?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thank you for the response. I just got it 4 days ago, its an 08 with 190k. My guess is that it hasn't been changed, although the car fax shows the previous owner was religious in changing the oil lol. During the test drive I didn't notice it, which makes me think I was in 4th and not D at that time and didn't notice. I will probably just get the local dealer to do a complete flush then.
FJtest's advice is correct and right on. We had same with an 07 at about 160,000 miles. I could not fathom that the problem - I described it as the whole FJ being zapped by a ray gun for a few seconds - was the AT, but it was. And it was intermittent yet frequent and would be isolated to a particular speed and AT position most of the time, but then a few random shutters. I suspect the feeling we experience differs slightly between each vehicle, but it's the same issue. We did a full pan drop and drain of every drop possible followed by a one-time OEM refill including LubeGuard additive. No issues since.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Be careful with the complete flush. I did it to my 2008 with 143k miles and it did started slipping on stop and go and left turns. Make sure they check the level after the flush. I took mine back and it was low 2 3/4 quarts. They top it off and it is running fine and by the way the shuddering stops.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks
Flush the trans. It's a torquec converter shudder

1 - 16 of 16 Posts