Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My FJ has 143,000 kms on it and lately there is a rumbling/shuddering sound when accelerating between 40-60 kmph. I took it into the dealership to have them investigate and they suspected that the problem was in the exhaust system with the gasket in the exhaust pipe having been worn out and not able to handle the vibrations coming from the propeller shaft. In any case, they had me bring the vehicle in the next day and they opened up the exhaust and found no issues there. Unable to diagnose the problem they returned the vehicle with the following note: "rec to replace muffler, and vehicle may require further diagnostics. Rec to wait till noise becomes louder". Of course I got charged for their failure to diagnose.

Having read the posts on this forum I suggested to them that it may be an issue with the transmission, torque converter and everything else that good folks on this forum have reported. Called Toyota Canada help line to see if they could help and was told to work with the dealership to diagnose the problem. I pointed out that the dealership was unable to help and if they knew any FJ experts that could help. The customer service rep very rudely told me that I should probably go to another dealership and if they can't solve it then try some others in the area. Basically the advice was to go shopping from dealer to dealer and pay a diagnostic fee to each one with no guarantees of a resolution.

Any ideas on where I need to go and what needs to be done next as I seem to have run into a brickwall with Toyota. Interestingly, I have an extended warranty which expires soon and am wondering if that's got to do anything with their 'failure to diagnose'.

Appreciate any help I can get. Does anyone have a contact at Toyota Canada that I could reach out to?

·
Registered
24 Posts
has the transmission fluid ever been changed? I don't know why these dealerships are such buffoons when it comes to automatic transmissions. They are obviously getting this training from Toyota... But at any rate, if I was a betting man and I had a choice of putting my money on "worn out muffler gasket" or "torque converter shudder on a toyota a750f", I'd lay my money on torque converter shudder almost every time.

Is it just a sound, or does it feel like you are running over a corrugated roof panel or something like that??

Extended warranties are usually done through a 3rd party so Toyota Motor Co. probably wouldn't care one way or the other about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
has the transmission fluid ever been changed? I don't know why these dealerships are such buffoons when it comes to automatic transmissions. They are obviously getting this training from Toyota... But at any rate, if I was a betting man and I had a choice of putting my money on "worn out muffler gasket" or "torque converter shudder on a toyota a750f", I'd lay my money on torque converter shudder almost every time.

Is it just a sound, or does it feel like you are running over a corrugated roof panel or something like that??

Extended warranties are usually done through a 3rd party so Toyota Motor Co. probably wouldn't care one way or the other about that.
Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, the transmission fluid has been changed at the recommended mileage. When the shudder happens it does feel like its running over a rumble strip, the type that they use on some of our highways to slow vehicles down at exits.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I don't quite understand when you say that extended warranties are with third parties. My warranty is with Toyota Canada directly and it specifically covers all parts of the auto transmission including the torque converter.

Would it help to take it in to another dealer? My assumption was that since they are all trained and equipped with Toyota diagnostic machines they would all have the same expertise.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also, I don't quite understand when you say that extended warranties are with third parties. My warranty is with Toyota Canada directly and it specifically covers all parts of the auto transmission including the torque converter.

Would it help to take it in to another dealer? My assumption was that since they are all trained and equipped with Toyota diagnostic machines they would all have the same expertise.
I'd definitely take it to another dealership until I found one that knew what they were doing.

3rd party as in extended warranty provided through another company other than Toyota. Must be different in Canadia than it is in merica.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Take it to an independent transmission shop, most will test drive and give an idea of what they think with no/minimal charge. They may even help give the dealer a schooling so they can fix the car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts