Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 952 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well my story isnt nearly as long as some of the stories i have read here about a shuddering transmission. I have a 2007 A/T with 63,000 miles.I started having problems with the shuddering 2 weeks ago. After a week of it getting worse and worse i took it into the dealership. i left it this last monday and got a call from the tech asking all the details. I told him it was shuttering at 1500 rpm around 25 mph and near 40mph. The tech called back saying he took it for a test drive and felt the problem. he would need to keep the fj overnight. Two days later i got a call from someone at the dealership saying they had a toyota rep in the area and he gave the problem a look. The diagnosis was my transmission is shot and that i would need a new one. I bought the fj used from a nissan dealership and so my extended warranty was through nissan. A nissan warranty rep came to the dealership to check everything out and he approved all of the work. I am now in a rental car 5 days later and my fj should be out of the shop by monday with a brand new trans. :clap: I am very happy with how Garden Grove toyota has taken care of the problem fairly quickly.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
So what failed on the transmission ? Good to hear you were taken care of.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Good to hear that all is going well on the repair and replacement. As mentioned above, what caused the failure? 63K on a tranny is not alot of miles. I think a flush and filter change once a year is cheap insurance when it comes to ATs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just took mine in this morning to replace shuddering Tranny. 140,000km. Toyota said they'd pay 1/3 ,dealer will pay 1/3 and i'm on the hook for 1/3 ($1500). Starting to think this is going to be an on going problem with higher mileage FJ's

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I'm wondering it this is the torque convertor going bad or if it really is the entire trans.

It would be really nice to know what EXACTLY is failing here.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So i am not 100% sure what the problem was exactly. All of the lingo the guy from the dealership said on the phone was a bit confusing to me. but i will get a definitive answer as to what failed in the transmission.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am getting my truck back tomorrow for this same exact issue. The torque converter is failing or malfunctioning. The torque converter acts to stabilize the ride over bumpy roads by adjusting the torque to the wheels under different loads. They replace the whole tranny as a precautionary in case other issues in the trans are compounding it.

Bought my truck at a toyota dealer used and they are taking care of the cost and the cost of the tiny tiny little rental car they put me in. :cheers:

·
Registered
220 Posts
would it be water in the torque converter. have any of you gone into any deep water in the past. by the look of the picture in your sig, you have been in some water. how hard is it to replace the thing myself. 100% it the torque converter? cause im getting the shutters too.. and a lil slip here and there. what would the cost be to rebuild a trans?

·
Registered
115 Posts
would it be water in the torque converter. have any of you gone into any deep water in the past. by the look of the picture in your sig, you have been in some water. how hard is it to replace the thing myself. 100% it the torque converter? cause im getting the shutters too.. and a lil slip here and there. what would the cost be to rebuild a trans?
Its possible. I have been through some deep water. But the dealer had my car inspected by 2 of their shop foreman, and then had a 3rd party inspector come to verify it before they would authorize it being taken care of under warranty. They were obviously looking for a way to say it was my fault and not cover it. Thats how it seemed at least.

They never told me the cause for the failed torque converter, just that its a known issue yet very rare. After hearing the shudder stories on here it doesnt appear too rare.

They replaced the transmission as a whole as opposed to just the TC. The part alone is $800 or $900. There are some after market ones for $600. I would know how to install it because i believe it is part of the transmissions internal components.

Good luck with it all. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Sucks to hear, glad they're taking care of you. My torque converter went out as well recently, at about 55,000 miles. Warranty covered it all. I find it interesting that it is taking so long for you. Maybe my dealership is just good. (they suck at the pricing of their used vehicles though) I brought mine in on a Tuesday morning at 9. By about 10:15 they were done diagnosing the problem. Told me since it was such a high dollar problem and it was going to be claimed on my warranty they needed to get it approved, but they didn't need the FJ for this so I was able to drive it home. The following day at like 4pm they called to say I was good to go, and the new transmission would be in by Thursday or Friday and to go ahead and set up an appointment for the next week. So the following Monday I dropped it off at 8am, and they were done with it by about 4:30pm. Thus far I'm very happy with the job. Cost a little over 4k, and I didn't pay a dime.

I'm worried that the torque converter will go out again some day, post warranty. I wonder how much it would cost, and how difficult a job it would be to just replace the TC?

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
Sounds as if there would be a market for upgrades in Toyota AT. I put a Banks Power Pack on my 95 Ford Power Stroke. The increase in HP and Torque promptly led to transmission (E4OD) failure. I had ATS in Wheatridge rebuildthe tranny using their billet torque converter. The old tranny (torque converter) died due to heat build up.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have had the studdering between 2nd and 3rd problem for 2 years now, I've done a full flush, new plugs and every other ''cheap fix'' I could attempt with no luck.
I told the stealer ship last year and was told that ''it's normal'' and ''big tires'' excuse.
A year later it seems I'm not the only one experiencing this, but now my warranty has expired..... DIY time.

The Story.....
It seem that two winters ago it first came about ever so slightly and went completely away during the summer, only to return the following winter but the studder was not as bad. Now this winter, being colder than last and it's back with a heavyier studder.
I noticed the better I let the truck warm up the less frequent it vibrates, that and along with the amount of report from this winter, it leads me to belive that cold is some how effecting the transmission, some sort of condensation build up or maybe cold weather icing in there some how.

Once the weather breaks I will be dropping mine and having it rebuild or just replacing it all together. Toyota realy has dropped the ball with this truck, I mean c'mon.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Re: Shuddering transmission problems at 103K

My 2007 TRDSE has been shuddering at just over 103K.
I had the trans flushed at the dealer at 98K and all was well.
I also had a front Wheel Bearing on Drivers side go out, 1" of play up and down in the front wheel when up on a lift, right side was OK.
The Toyota Tech said that that was so 'GM' and very rare.
I think that 100+K FJ's are rare, rather than the issue.
I am going to put it in this week for the trans and see what the Toyota Region Rep has to say about the % of the $ that I will have to pay.
More to follow.
Does anyone know if the Trans has been upgraded since 2007 or is it the same part#..........gm

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts

My 2007 TRDSE has been shuddering at just over 103K.
I had the trans flushed at the dealer at 98K and all was well.
I also had a front Wheel Bearing on Drivers side go out, 1" of play up and down in the front wheel when up on a lift, right side was OK.
The Toyota Tech said that that was so 'GM' and very rare.
I think that 100+K FJ's are rare, rather than the issue.
I am going to put it in this week for the trans and see what the Toyota Region Rep has to say about the % of the $ that I will have to pay.
More to follow.
Does anyone know if the Trans has been upgraded since 2007 or is it the same part#..........gm
UPDATE:
I took the FJ to the dealership and left it there for a week.
They drove it twice and could not make it replicate, I stopped by Friday PM and took the foreman for a ride and what do you know; after a 2 mile warm up, the shudder was back. Between 24 and 30 mph under light acceleration, some were very heatlhy. Probably did a doxen or so in a 5 mile loop.
Left it again, they will hook up to it and 'read the shudder', I asked them to contact the Region Rep for assistance as I had the 100K drive train warranty and I had identified the problem at 98K when we changed the fluid.
More to follow...................gm
The rest of the story:
After I showed the dealership the shuddering, they were able to hook up and record it. They verified that the condition was not due to a low fluid condition.
They indicated that it needs a new transmission. $3800.
The SM called Toyota at my request and plead my case.
That case being:
No abuse
Toyota dealer maintenance since new
Highway miles
I have owned 8 Landcruisers, a Highlander , a Lexus ls 400 and a FJ since 1990.
I still own a 1990 LC and a 1996 LC and a 2008 Hignlander.
Result: the Region Rep for Toyota gave me $1000 off the $3800 repair.
I called Corporate and they refused to do any more.
I informed them that I had bought my last new Toyota, after buying about $400,000 worth of Toyota's.
The SM is going to try to work the deal through his contacts, but I have no hope that they will do any more.
I am very saddened by the Customer focus of a Company that I thought was the eptitome of customer service and product reliability in the Landcruiser product offering..................gm

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts

UPDATE:
They drove it twice and could not make it replicate, I stopped by Friday PM and took the foreman for a ride and what do you know; after a 2 mile warm up, the shudder was back. Between 24 and 30 mph under light acceleration, some were very heatlhy. Probably did a doxen or so in a 5 mile loop.
Left it again, they will hook up to it and 'read the shudder', I asked them to contact the Region Rep for assistance as I had the 100K drive train warranty and I had identified the problem at 98K when we changed the fluid.
I also have an 07 TRD and mine is doing the exact same thing as yours. I will be watching this thread closely. Please give an update as to what they come up with. I have not had the 100,000 mi flush yet but it might just be a waste of money at this point.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts
Will do.
I expect some action this week into next.
The Region Rep for Toyota will have to get involved as it is out of warranty.
GM

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts

UPDATE:
Well after my experience today I would try a different dealer if I were you. I finally took my rig into a different dealer today to check it out again and they said my torque converter was bad. That was just after a small test ride that was able to produce the shudder one time. After checking everything else out in detail that took the rest of the day they told me they would have a new one installed by tomorrow and it would all be be covered under warranty. Wow, I should have been to this dealer a long time ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 2007 with about 70,000 miles on it. about a month ago I started feeling the shuddering. I had a local mechanic check the drive shafts which were ok. I have found if I run it in 4 not D that the shudder goes away. Has there been a TSB on this problem? I've not been back to the dealer since I paid it off a year ago. If fact I've never been to happy with them since I bought it. Not the Tojo's fault but the dealer is a bonehead. It was always a big deal to them to service it. Any info would be helpful. Thanks:boohoo:

1 - 20 of 952 Posts