Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

921 - 940 of 952 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Just last week, my DD Lexus IS300 with 230,000 miles started to shudder from 1800-2000rpm. Knowing my car is worth more to me as a commuter car than selling on CL, a friend at work recommended lubegard instant tranny shutter fix. On the way home, I bought and added shudder fix and then drove 1 hour home. It seems to have solved my shudder problem. I had just done a full ATF exchange 40,000 miles ago so the fluid was still good. So if this doesnt work, I will be replacing the tranny. Give it a try. It was only $8.50

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
What are the pros and cons of using a "shudder fix"?
Shudder fix should be the last resort as the additive can cause your regular transmission shifts to get less firm. What I would do is add the product and leave it in until the shudder goes away. Then if you notice your shifts are starting to get sloppy perform a flush and renew the fluid.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Shudder fix should be the last resort as the additive can cause your regular transmission shifts to get less firm. What I would do is add the product and leave it in until the shudder goes away. Then if you notice your shifts are starting to get sloppy perform a flush and renew the fluid.
Thanks for that.
I've gotten to accelerating through the 40 MPH in 4th gear to bypass the shudder. What happens if I don't do anything to try to fix the problem? Is my tranny headed for the grave?

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Thanks for that.
I've gotten to accelerating through the 40 MPH in 4th gear to bypass the shudder. What happens if I don't do anything to try to fix the problem? Is my tranny headed for the grave?
Basically yes. The friction material will glaze up and then start to flake off which will plug up your cooler and filter. Best to fix it now before it gets worse

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello ! I been stalking this forum since 2011 when I need any help and I think it’s my time to ask some questions... I have 2010 fj around 140k miles on it and having some shudder issue where it shudders on low rpm and thru out the drive. It’s not extreme big shudder but it’s noticible. I did 100k service on my fj i believe trasmission fluid change was done on it once and never touched my tranny. Ive noticed the situation long time ago but i had pretty beat up tires and rotors were due for change and thought that was causing the issue and after reading all these threads, i believe it’s my transmission. Since I am still getting this after all these fixed. I am trying to do atf flush on my fj and was wondering what specific parts I need to buy.. can anyone please help me 🙂?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2008 FJ Cruiser just started to slip, I took it into the transmission shop and he said I had a leak in my coolant lines. $250.00 later and everything is fine. Couldn't be happier

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello ! I been stalking this forum since 2011 when I need any help and I think it’s my time to ask some questions... I have 2010 fj around 140k miles on it and having some shudder issue where it shudders on low rpm and thru out the drive. It’s not extreme big shudder but it’s noticible. I did 100k service on my fj i believe trasmission fluid change was done on it once and never touched my tranny. Ive noticed the situation long time ago but i had pretty beat up tires and rotors were due for change and thought that was causing the issue and after reading all these threads, i believe it’s my transmission. Since I am still getting this after all these fixed. I am trying to do atf flush on my fj and was wondering what specific parts I need to buy.. can anyone please help me 🙂?
If you are not 100% positive that the transmission fluid has been changed then I would start there. Heck, If I were you, I'd probably just do a drain and fill of the transmission whether I thought somebody already changed it or not, just to make sure. you will only get what's in the pan, but that will show you the condition of the fluid. if its brown, then its time to do 3 or 4 drain and fills in quick succession with driving between each one. This will help to get all of the old fluid out. Also, i'd drop the pan and change out the strainer ("filter") and clean off the pan magnets and wash out the pan.

changing transmission fluid is not like changing the motor oil. a simple drain and fill of the pan only replaces a fraction of the amount of fluid that is actually in the transmission and torque converter.

beware of the procedure to ensure the correct fluid level. you'll want to study up on that before starting that project. And purchase a IR temperature gun so you can get a ballpark temperature reading on the trans pan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I've had an ongoing issue with a whining transmission pump. I went through all the processes of elimination and with the help of a local trans shop have pinned it down to the trans pump. It is definitely not anything to with the accessory pulleys as I have removed the serp belt and still heard the whine. You can also hear it underneath the truck near the bell housing area. The dealer says it's "normal" probably because there are no CEL codes or any symptom of poor shifting, shuddering etc. I've never heard another FJ or Tacoma sound like this personally. I did a 12qt flush with MaxLife and added Lubegard platinum as well. Honestly I can't tell a difference, the truck has shifted perfect since I bought it but the whine is still there. This whine is killing me! So now I am planning on replacing the SLU and SLT along with a SL1 and SL2 swap. I will be using new OEM SLT and SLU solenoids. My thinking was maybe the pump was whining due to over-working to create pressure that the SLU solenoid should be doing or maybe the SLT is somehow making the TC starve the pump for fluid thus the whine. I know I'm reaching here but I'm trying to think of components that can affect the trans pump operation.

Am I just going down a rabbit hole here or could fresh solenoids help? I've done a mountain of research and the only thing I can find similar to me is on the 4Runner forums. There are several later model 4Runners reporting this problem and no solution has been found so far from my reading. Have any of you experienced this whine before? On the bright side, I am very confident doing a pan drop/filter replacement, full flush and solenoid servicing now! I also added a trans cooler while I was going through everything and it has had a significant impact on my trans fluid operating temps. Whine is still the there though.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Is the whine there 100% of the time? Mine has been whining for years but on & off. And when it does, only when hot. It runs and shifts perfectly.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Don't waste your money on solenoids. It the noise is really a pump whine you can prove it by cutting the power to the transmission. This will increase the line pressure to max and if the noise is the pump it will change and get louder, First, start the engine and leave it in park. Then unplug the case connector going to the transmission solenoids. Keep in mind this will set a bunch of codes so you will have to clear them when you are done. When you unplug the connector the pump will get louder if the noise is coming from the pump. If the noise stays the same then it is NOT the pump making noise.
One thing that will make the pump sing is if the filter screen is plugged up. Make sure your transmission pan isn't smashed up and hitting the filter. If your pump is indeed making the noise then pull the pan and inspect the filter. Again, solenoids will not make pump noise.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've got a 2014 FJ, original owner. The shudder began at 38,XXX miles, 1500rpm between 25-40 mph. Took it to the dealer and after 3 hours of diagnostic testing and communication with corporate, the field engineer recommended to replace my tranny (still under warranty). The dealer replaced the entire transmission and flipped my driveshaft around (slip yoke is towards the rear diff). The FJ ran perfect for 10 months (about 5 thousand miles) and now the shudder is back again, same RPM/MPH. We only take the truck on camping trips so it sees mostly highway driving, occasional fire roads to our favorite camp locations but no hard wheeling. Planning to return to the dealer but want to drive it a little more to be sure. It is still under warranty. I will report back with what I find.

The original job was a little over $5000 (all warranty, I didn't pay a dime) but concerned the problem has resurfaced. Even if they replace the tranny again, whos to say the problem won't come back after the warranty is over. My family and I love this truck but the dependability and long term cost has me concerned.

Customer service at Toyota of Glendora was excellent the first time around. Hopefully I experience the same...

·
Registered
54 Posts
I failed to mention, I installed a Tru Cool Tranny cooler about 4 months after the transmission was replaced. My gauge reads 140-160 normal highway driving in southern California weather. Can climb to 200-210 if driving up mountain roads but that is rare (was common before the trans cooler was installed).

The cooler is inline, after the radiator, trans temp sensor located in the line out from the transmission. The cooler has been very effective in keeping the fluid cool so I don't believe fluid breakdown is the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Some questions.....

1) Did they replace the torque converter?

2) Why did they flip the driveshaft around?

3) I'm assuming you added additional fluid when you added the cooler. I'm sure you did but I've found it helpful to ask.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
54 Posts
Some questions.....

1) Did they replace the torque converter?

2) Why did they flip the driveshaft around?

3) I'm assuming you added additional fluid when you added the cooler. I'm sure you did but I've found it helpful to ask.

DEWFPO

Yes, they said the TC was replaced along with the rest of the tranny. Entire unit was pulled to send back to Toyota for further analysis. Not sure why they flipped the driveshaft, in fact they didn't tell me that they did. I noticed it when I looked underneath as I usually grease the driveshaft myself. From what I have heard, it reduces the vibration by placing the yoke further back, but I have no idea if there is any truth to that. I did in fact triple check my fluid levels after adding the cooler. Granted, I don't have a temp sender to read pan temp so I used my Autometer to get me the fluid temp coming out of the trans, and compared it against a non contact laser thermometer at the pan. The temps were within 3 degrees of each other and in range when I pulled the level plug. I closed it when I got the 'trickle'.

I may be calling Toyota to discuss any extension on the warranty. I was originally told that the 'new' trans falls under the same warranty timeframe when I purchased the vehicle. However experience tells me an extension was in order as this tranny was not the original one I purchased. Toyota must know of these issues as it did not take them long to authorize a tranny replacement.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Thanks for your responses. I agree, after what you've been through, extending the warranty is probably a very good idea. I have found that when something is replaced under the original warranty, the 'guaranty' on the new part only lasts until the end of the original warranty. The new part doesn't start the clock over with a 'new' warranty.

I was curious about the slip yoke being installed at the rear differential and did a web search and found a pic of Jeep that was set up that way (I don't believe it was an OE setup however) but I could not find any reasoning for doing it that way. I even looked at driveshaft shop websites to see if they say anything about it but I didn't find anything.

Does the shudder only happen in "D"?

DEWFPO

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I was really happy after the 1st service but after only adding 5500 miles to the replacement, it’s disheartening to experience the same symptoms. I’ll ask about the driveshaft but I believe I read somewhere about reducing felt vibrations by relocating the sliding part of the shaft to the rear.

I’ve not tried keeping it in 4. I typically stay in overdrive but will give it a shot when I drive it again. Seems like the vibes are getting worse/stronger: happens only under acceleration.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just found a post re: Tacoma’s (Tacoma world) that people have tried to flip driveshaft to reduce vibration. Some say it works so I suppose the dealer has seen enough of these to attempt it on other model cars. I think the FJ and Tacoma share the same tranny... seems to be a problem with Tacoma and runners.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Update: Brought it back to the dealer, the shudder was confirmed. Dealer called and said Corporate authorized replacement (under warranty) of the Torque Converter. During test drive they performed a procedure (not sure how, I've heard the third brake light disconnects the TC) to disconnect the TC lock up and said the shudder went away. I picked up the vehicle last week and so far the 30-40mph range shudder has gone away, however I am feeling a slight vibration now between 20-25 mph, 1200-1500rpm. It's not consistent/repeatable, but I do feel it. I hate to make another stink about it so I'm putting some miles on the truck to see if it will get worse. The dealer did mention they drained and filled with fresh WS fluid, and replaced the tranny main seal because there was a minor leak.

I asked corporate about an extended warranty. They were agreeable to offering me 7 yr/100,000 mile warranty (effective the day I purchased the truck, so basically 2 more years past the original expiration of my factory powertrain which is over April 2019). Time is more of a factor for me since I don't put many miles on this rig. I truly hope the issue was fixed. I don't want to sell this truck because I love everything about it (of course, except for the tranny issues).

I am just sharing my personal experience because it appears there are many owners out there with the exact same problem. I have been fortunate that this has happened under warranty, but unfortunate that it has happened with such low miles on a maintained, garage kept rig.

Again, Toyota of Glendora has been great. Customer service and responsiveness of my case manager from corporate has been great as well. I just wish the tranny was just as good...

921 - 940 of 952 Posts