Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

941 - 952 of 952 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
I failed to mention, I installed a Tru Cool Tranny cooler about 4 months after the transmission was replaced. My gauge reads 140-160 normal highway driving in southern California weather. Can climb to 200-210 if driving up mountain roads but that is rare (was common before the trans cooler was installed).

The cooler is inline, after the radiator, trans temp sensor located in the line out from the transmission. The cooler has been very effective in keeping the fluid cool so I don't believe fluid breakdown is the problem.
my max temp driven hard in the mountains is around 167 and never ever touches 200 as it used to earlier before I put the Hayden 679.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Can someone please point me to the post in this thread with the fluid exchange instructions? Tried searching but there are a ton of pages. Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is the OP still active on this board? Perhaps he, or a mod, can edit the first post with links to the page where the good instructions are. I remember it took me FOREVER to flip through this thread to get to those instructions. Sure did help me out a lot, though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have a 2007 FJ with just over 100,000 on it and I too have the shudder. I did the complete flush and noticed an improvement but it's still there, not nearly as bad. Gonna bite the bullet and replace the TC along with the VB myself. While looking for replacement TC's and VB's I see Florida Torque Converters has TC's at a reasonable price and not a lot of negative press, but I can't find VB's anywhere. Can someone direct me to a reputable TC and/or VB company? Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Have a 2007 FJ with just over 100,000 on it and I too have the shudder. I did the complete flush and noticed an improvement but it's still there, not nearly as bad. Gonna bite the bullet and replace the TC along with the VB myself. While looking for replacement TC's and VB's I see Florida Torque Converters has TC's at a reasonable price and not a lot of negative press, but I can't find VB's anywhere. Can someone direct me to a reputable TC and/or VB company? Thanks.
Be sure you give it some time to clear up. After doing the flush my shudder took perhaps a month to totally fade away.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I would wait a while before replacing the torque converter. Try some shudder fix first. If you do decide to replace the VB then get one from Sonnax, VBX.https://www.sonnax.com/parts/4172-remanufactured-valve-body

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have tried everything I can think of, full dealership flush, clean MAF, new spark plugs, balance the tires (ok some of these were read on the internet and did them because they were cheap to do) and now I am up to doing Shutter Fixx.

Is the best way or only way to pump it in through fill hole on the bottom off the tranny? Thx

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fill hole in the side of the trans.

I used it and it cleared up the shudder almost immediately, like on the test drive after adding it. I was amazed. It only lasted about 1200 - 1500 miles and the shudder came back.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I use Lubegard Shudder fix is there a recommended amount to use? Have heard 1oz/pint of tranny fluid (seems a little excessive to me). Any info or recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
What is it about the valve body that wears or goes bad?
The TCC regulator bore wears out along with the solenoid regulator valve bore. This usually doesn't happen until 150K miles or more.

941 - 952 of 952 Posts