Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone driven their FJ across Asia?

I drove mine from Montana to Argentina and southern Chile a few years ago, but I am planning to ship to Vladivostok in a few months, and drive west to Barcelona. Any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
With the short Range the FJ has as far as Fuel . Does this ever worry you in these remote areas of travel ?

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
With the short Range the FJ has as far as Fuel . Does this ever worry you in these remote areas of travel ?
Aux fuel tanks are available and are stock most places outside north America.
of course aftermarket aux tanks are available in larger sizes than the OEM aux.
OEM aux doubles total capacity to 160L, but I think that some of the aftermarket tanks are 120L giving a total of 200L... that's pretty good range in anyone's book.
There is another option of carrying rubber bladders of fuel. They are relatively cheap and fold down pretty small when not in use. A pair of 50L bladders on the roof would be pretty useful.

·
Desert Moderator
5,671 Posts
Has anyone driven their FJ across Asia?

I drove mine from Montana to Argentina and southern Chile a few years ago, but I am planning to ship to Vladivostok in a few months, and drive west to Barcelona. Any suggestions?
I reckon Andrew St Pierre White would like to pick your brains over that... He's planning a top to bottom trip through the Americas.

I'd love to do a Middle East - Asia - Europe - Africa (down the west, back up the east) - Middle East loop... A guy called Dan Grec is doing Africa at the moment and has done the Americas in the past...

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
. . . I am planning to ship to Vladivostok in a few months, and drive west to Barcelona. Any suggestions?
How are you shipping? I know it's by sea, but it is best if you can have your own container. Things have a way of going missing in the Port of Vladivostok. Including vehicles themselves. Talk to your shipping agent about what will be best for you, and insure the truck and all its contents as well as you can. Valuables like all of your electronics and things that can easily be unbolted should be shipped separately or checked as luggage. You may find that it is cheaper to buy recovery gear there, things such as axes and shovels and sledge hammers and so on. Plus you will have souvenirs when you get home!! Among the things you should buy there is a Siberian Chef's knife (I want one so bad. Buy two and bring one home for me, please. Ok just kidding about the one for me).

Give critical thought to dealing with intoxicated Russians hanging around the gas stations in the small towns. It can be an issue. For gas station information, you will want to download the map from Colebatch in the Horizon Unlimited database ( here:http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/northern-asia/asia-waypoints-50860.) (I tried to insert the URL but the computer is not cooperating today. here is the URL in plain text: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/northern-asia/asia-waypoints-50860 In fact, join both Horizon Unlimited and the Expedition Portal forums. Tons of good info.

Fuel is going to be an issue. You need range, lots of range. Not all fuel stops will be open.

I usually travel alone (not many people like me) but on this trip, I would recommend having a navigator/engineer/pretty companion. It's about 12 time zones across Russia, and you can get lonely.

I hope you post a trip report! Best wishes, and safe travels.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Have you checked over on the Expedition Portal forum? I'm sure someone there has some direct experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts