Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the proper place to post but I would like to give a warning to fellow FJC owners about my experience with SICK HID.

I ordered custom HID headlights from SICK HID on Nov 15th 2016 at a cost of $999.
On Jan 17th, 2017 they were finally ready to be shipped. I paid an extra $55 for express shipping which sat at his office for 2 more days.
I received the headlights and installed them with no issues. I was impressed with the completeness of the system and easy of installation.
On March 26, 2017 I contacted SICK HID to report what I felt was excessive moisture. See attached photos. I was told by SICK HID that moisture is "NORMAL" and would go away in time.
Weeks later it had not cleared up. On April 6th 2017 I returned the headlights to SICK HID. I was told that there was "more moisture in the lights than expected" and he would repair under warranty.
On May 8th, 2017 I received an invoice for $50 for return shipping??? He says that that is SICK HID policy. We agree to split the $50 and I send $25.
It is now May 24th and I do not have my headlights.
It appears that SICK HID sent my headlights back via USPS parcel post and only insured them for $500. Per the tracking number the headlights are in CATANO,*PR*00962!!! I live in Florida.
When I sent SICK HID an email stating I have not received my headlights he replied with "You can call USPS with the tracking number. It's in their hands, not mine." Great customer service.

It is a shame. I was really happy with the lights.

Just be aware that SICK HID has NOT taken care of my issues.
ALL the above statements are verifiable thru emails back and forth between myself and SICK HID.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, only paying half the return shipping makes sense for half insurance. $50 would have been cheap compared to a $500 loss...
We agreed to split the shipping cost. He paid half and I paid half. Never agreed to half the insurance.

Funny that in everything that I described the shipping is where you find fault? Thanks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
After a quick look at his website its not clear what they use for shipping domestically, as in its not stated at all. in all my dealing with USPS i will say that you need to file a claim with them, i recently did this and miraculously my package turned up a few days later. if that doesnt fix the situation than i would take him to small claims court.

also i dont think StrangerRanger was being snarky with you. just my opinion, secondly the fact that you paid almost $1k for what look like projector style retro fits is insane, either way good luck

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a quick look at his website its not clear what they use for shipping domestically, as in its not stated at all. in all my dealing with USPS i will say that you need to file a claim with them, i recently did this and miraculously my package turned up a few days later. if that doesnt fix the situation than i would take him to small claims court.

also i dont think StrangerRanger was being snarky with you. just my opinion, secondly the fact that you paid almost $1k for what look like projector style retro fits is insane, either way good luck
Not just a projector. I cannot file a claim as I am not the sender.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Generally in my experience with shippers, even if the recipient can file a claim, they cannot collect on it. The agreement is between the shipper and the carrier on the insurance.

I'd definitely press this with them and file complaints anywhere you can and send the company a URL for this thread as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's awful customer service any way you look at it. I won't consider ordering from SICK HID until they make more of an effort to take care of these issues.

·
Registered
128 Posts
With a name like "SICK HID" I don't think I would've ordered in the first place lol.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
I've had a lot of luck filing with the BBB , let's us know how you turn out ... always try with PayPal also via they back you very well

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So the Post Office has been gracious enough to finally deliver my headlights back to me. I will be re-installing these tomorrow and will promptly run the FJ thru a car was to see if moisture gets back in the headlights. My assumption is it will based on the fact that that there are two open ports right into the headlights on the back. There is a snorkel on them but still open into the headlights???? There is one at the top and bottom of the back of the headlight. Cheap aftermarket headlights. Not would I would expect for $1000?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Yes 1000.00 dollars ^^^^

Can you plug those holes? Otherwise sooner or later moisture's going to get back in there

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I finally installed the "repaired" lights last week and within a week they look like this again. Both lights are full of moisture. I have sent an email to SICKHID but so far no response. I highly doubt I will be hearing from them!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
932 Posts
Just bake the headlights yourself, wipe down the inside, seal up the little snorkel holes with silicone and call it a day. This should take you no more than an hour to do both headlights. It's actually more difficult to remove the headlights then to do the actual retrofit.

-B

Reactions: Thorn661
1 - 20 of 42 Posts