Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

The FJ is my first car, and even though I got the hang of it this week, I'd still like to make some small and relatively cheap mods to make it a more comfier ride. I've heard that blindspot mirrors are great for parking (I'm in NYC, so this would be incredible for me).

So, big questions:

1. I can't find the EZ mirrors sold anymore, but do you guys have any product suggestions for blindspot mirrors? Currently looking at these.

2. I most definitely want a bigger rearview mirror, but I see complaints of it shrinking cars behind you, and seeing way too much of the back interior of your car (though I'm okay with compromising). Also with passengers pulling down the visor and bumping it. Don't want that. Just slightly bigger. Looking at this one.

3. Sun glare, car light glare- It's been overwhelming. For me and my girlfriend. I guess we have sensitive eyes ( I work on a computer all day, we both wear glasses, etc.) Is it worth it to tint? I have some shade clips for my glasses, but only for daytime driving. way too dark at night. Any alternatives?

OKAY! big ones are out of the way. Here are some other mentions:

• What ya'll think of HEET? Heard it's great to keep water/humidity out of the internals in your car.
  • Thoughts on XADO? Heard this extends the life your car, protects against wear over time. Got advice from mechanic.
  • How do I best protect my car in the snow? Do you guys use covers like this?
-Is WD40 useful for the underbody of my car to treat / remove rust or creaky sounds?

Thank you guys a ton in advance! 馃槃

Registered
The mirrors and windshield tint are strictly personal choice ... Toyota makes slightly wider view outside mirrors (slightly convex glass) that can be easily retrofitted to the standard mirror housings, and I'd just keep a pair of good quality polarized sunglasses in the vehicle to deal with glare.

The other fuel treatments are totally unnecessary unless you keep the vehicle stored for months at a time without being driven. Burn only Top Tier gasoline from any of the major refiners and you won't need any hyper expensive fuel additives.

Rather than initially focusing on the things you've listed, if road salt is used in any areas you will ever drive in, you should be determining what kind of high-quality undercarriage anti-corrosion process you will have the vehicle treated with, how frequently you will have it re-treated, and how you will be rinsing the underside of the vehicle during winter.

Premium Member
here are two threads on fitting the JDM glass (with the part numbers, and information about adding heat, if desired):

I, too, am light sensitive, and love the side sun visors in my FJ. When wearing polarized sunglasses the stock FJammer head unit was impossible to read, so I changed it for a modern navigation head unit.

x2 what FJTest said about corrosion, here are some threads on it for you:

welcome to the club!
Norm

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The mirrors and windshield tint are strictly personal choice ... Toyota makes slightly wider view outside mirrors (slightly convex glass) that can be easily retrofitted to the standard mirror housings, and I'd just keep a pair of good quality polarized sunglasses in the vehicle to deal with glare.

The other fuel treatments are totally unnecessary unless you keep the vehicle stored for months at a time without being driven. Burn only Top Tier gasoline from any of the major refiners and you won't need any hyper expensive fuel additives.

Rather than initially focusing on the things you've listed, if road salt is used in any areas you will ever drive in, you should be determining what kind of high-quality undercarriage anti-corrosion process you will have the vehicle treated with, how frequently you will have it re-treated, and how you will be rinsing the underside of the vehicle during winter.
Thank you! I've seen you come in and out of other threads of mine, so I really appreciate you looking out for me! 馃槃

You're right about personal choice. I've been getting use to the side mirrors this week, and it's getting way easier to manage- If anything, I've been getting into the habit of parking too close to the curb when I use them. Way too much over compensation for me when I park them. I'll give them a shot, since they're pretty cheap mods to invest in!

I watched a Scotty Kilmer video and have confirmed that- They are a waste of time, money, and effort. They might even have detrimental effects to my vehicle. I drive it almost every day, so as you said, I'll be just fine :cool:

In NYC, they always salt the roads when winter comes. We've been lucky since the past year, as we've not had snow.

In general, what kind of anti-corrosion process do you implement on your car? How many times do you yours?
Lastly, could you elaborate on rinsing the underside? I'm sure you don't mean hosing it or something.

Thank you so much! 馃槃

Registered
I live in the warm, arid southwest, so there's no snow and no road salt induced corrosion to deal with, and I don't have to worry about undercarriage anti-corrosion treatments. There are multiple threads on this forum that will provide options from folks with first-hand experience.

Because chassis corrosion is such a severe problem in the northeast 'rust-belt', a whole industry has evolved providing anti-corrosion (or at least corrosion-delaying) treatment.

If you have no choice but to drive on salted roads, then a weekly undercarriage rinse is highly recommended. It's just what it sounds like, high-pressure jets of warm water directed up under the vehicle. I think car-wash facilities offer this service, but again I have no personal experience with them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here are two threads on fitting the JDM glass (with the part numbers, and information about adding heat, if desired):

I, too, am light sensitive, and love the side sun visors in my FJ. When wearing polarized sunglasses the stock FJammer head unit was impossible to read, so I changed it for a modern navigation head unit.

x2 what FJTest said about corrosion, here are some threads on it for you:

welcome to the club!
Norm
Thank you thank you! 馃槃

Have you tried the headed mirrors? I hear they're mostly used for extremely cold weather situations.

You read my mind! I don't think Toyota did a good job with the interior lighting on the dash. Not sure if I'll spend money on replacements, as I'd like to save up to get out of nyc, but this is def something I need to take note of for the future. I hope to have this fj for the rest of my life :cool:

Do you live in a spot where you're prone to crazy rust?

Premium Member
"Have you tried the headed mirrors?" - yes, very convenient in winter. I've retrofitted heated mirrors onto two of my old vehicles now, and the convex Japan spec glass does a great job of eliminating the blind spots.

"Do you live in a spot where you're prone to crazy rust?" - yes, grew up in upstate NY, live now in SE MI, bad rust from massive amounts of road salt all winter long. Every vehicle I've ever loved was killed by rust. My FJ will not go calmly into that good night.

I do all of the above posted things to my cars now, and it does work if you keep up with it every year, and if you start it soon enough in the car's existence so no rust has started yet, or if not, then if you remove as much of the rust as you can, and paint over that, and then keep it coated with protection. Its a lot of work but feels good to do it and is so satisfying to see the beneficial results over time.

Norm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.