Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Rwl, or blackwall out?

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2011 fj and it came with some dick cepek fun country tires. They are horrible. Cupped, and super noisey. Went to tire store for some new bfg at k02 tires. They had to order them.

Now the silly question... Raised White letters out, or blackwall?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I had white letters out on two of my previous Toyotas, K02. Loved it. Only thing was, as I am neat freak OCD, if you go on dirt/mud, cleanign those whites, to make them white, takes forever

On the FJ, I have 285 K02, but this time, whites on the inside.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know why all 4 of them would be cupped like that. From what I've read and from past experience, I would have to say , tire pressure too low and not rotated often enough..I think the dick cepek tires are 10 ply and need a higher air pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the older version of the bfg's years ago on several trucks, and I think I had one set each way... they look sharp with the letters out, but they look lousy when dirty if I remember right

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,952 Posts
Bad shocks can cause cupping too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hadn't thought about the shocks, thanks, I'll check them. They are the stock tokicos. Looking at some bilsteins

·
Premium Member
12,325 Posts
White out. If the letters get worn a few minutes with tire pen/paint pen......good as new.

Be different.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after thinking about it, I decided to get some new bilstein 5100s for the front and rear with the adjustable front ride height. with 160k miles, its time and I don't want to ruin my new tires . discount tire called and I am getting the tires put on in the morning. I think I've decided on blackwall out... thanks for all the input, and advice

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Definitely have the alignment checked once the new dampers are in.

If you live in a rusty environment, be prepared for the possibility the front lower arm adjusting cam bolts are seized. Sometimes it is possible to free them up, with a 4 foot long breaker bar and some luck. Other times it is necessary to cut them off and maybe save the arms. Usually, it means new lower arms and bolts (use lots of anti-seize for re-assembly). Good news: the new arms come with new ball joints. After 160k miles probably they are ready for replacement too.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
Why is this even a question? As was mentioned earlier, unless BFG is paying you, or buying your tires for you, it's BLACKWALLS OUT!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I won’t even consider tires that don’t have RWL. Whites out only for me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
White letters out , when cleaning use AJax , Comment ONLY on the tires NOT the rims. Tires look brand new. NEVER use tire dressing , softens the sidewall and flings it up on fenders etc...
My $.02 ....

·
Registered
2011 FJ - Iceberg White
61 Posts
Black out, especially if you plan on replacing / painting those mirrors, handles, and grill.

Sent from my S3_Pro using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams #181/2500<>< <*((^(((><
157 Posts
Has anyone put white letters out then had the same tires remounted to have the black side out? Does it cause any issues?

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Has anyone put white letters out then had the same tires remounted to have the black side out? Does it cause any issues?

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><
I think it causes pocketbook issues but otherwise shouldnt make any difference unless the tires are directional.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts