Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at Quail Springs mall the other day and saw a silver FJ in the parking lot and it had a black removable soft top!! Anybody own this?? Im not really sure if I liked the look or not...I thought it looked funny at first, then started to like it!!

Just kind of curious if anyone else has done this mod and what the heck does it cost to do it!!! gotta be expensive!

Cody

·
Registered
483 Posts
i see 2 people in my town with one not once in the summer when ive seen them has the top been down though LOL but they do look good but the back passenger door windows look quirky on them af for price aroud 10-15k id like to see onw with just the entire white part of the roof to be removed, i think that would look pretty sick

·
Registered
341 Posts
Really? Bet it would be weird looking..... in a way. Cool concept though.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've seen that one too. Never talked to the guy but it does look better than most of the ones I've seen online.I would never cut up my baby like that, but I'm kinda interested to see it in action.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
I would like to have the orange one with a full cage and some tube doors. I don't like the way the top on the white one slopes down like a fastback. I am sure it is so you can fold it down without completely removing it, but I just don't care for the way it looks. I would rather have the full soft top and have to take it completely off.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Love it ! , but just choping the top off would hurt the integrity of the truck

I would defenitly buy one convertable if it was oem originally produced by the manufacturer .

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Is this offered by anyone? Don't really thing I'd do it, but wonder what the entire job including the soft top would be. I've never heard or seen a soft top for sale anywhere, totally custom?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Is this offered by anyone? Don't really thing I'd do it, but wonder what the entire job including the soft top would be. I've never heard or seen a soft top for sale anywhere, totally custom?
My guess, since my dad owns a car upholstery shop and they do a lot of convertible tops, for everything including:
Cutting off roof.
Body work to make the chop look good
Fabbing up a roll cage and integrating that into the body as well as the frame (you are going to have to integrate it somehow into the body or otherwise loose all rigidity in the body)
Custom fabricating a soft top or adapting a similar style hard top (say from a 4dr wrangler)
and providing some kind of warranty against leaks and such
and all of the labor required to do all of this. (it is going to take a LOT of man-hours to get this done)

For it to be done well, probably in the neighborhood of $8-10K.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Why didn't Toyota build that second one??!!! STUPID!! No one wants to go head to head with the Wrangler? WHY?? Its built like a POS! Build something to compete that is built well and it well sell like hot cakes!!

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The yellow one is better looking than the white one, but I hate any convertible, car or truck with the top up. I would love to have a totally open roof in my FJ in the summer. The yellow FJ looks great with the top down. I'd keep it that way all summer long. I think it looks way better than the jeeps with the top off. Just me I guess.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts