1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A bunch of us Midwesters are going to Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears, MI
Here are links to the local area:
City of Silver Lake - Pure Michigan Travel
Silver Lake Sand Dunes Area, Silver Lake Michigan Hart, Mears, Pentwater Michigan
Welcome to Silver Lake Sand Dunes

In order to get into the dunes you’ll need lower tire pressure, a flag, a state park permit and a Michigan ORV permit.
State Park link:
DNR - Silver Lake State Park Information
NOTE the voucher system info at the bottom of the DNR page. You must get a voucher for dune entry during weekends.

Some of us will be staying at Yogi Bear’s which is a good family campground. They also have a house they split up and rent out as cabins.
Here is a link to Yogi’s:
SILVER LAKE JELLYSTONE PARK

Hope to see some of you there!!

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I'll try , but just for Sat. . Have prior obligations for Sunday . Need a time and place to meet before going into the dunes .
Redboat

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Couple of questions? Where can you find the flags at? Can you buy the ORV at places that sell hunting licenses?

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
I got mine off the internet . Go here first ,
www.mdnr-elicense.com - Welcome to E-License
then click on " List of licenses " and scroll down to Type 105 - ORV preprinted . Fill out form , etc. License will arrive in the mail about 7 day's later .
Flags used to be available at the store near the dunes entrance , don't know if they still carry them .
Redboat

·
Registered
28 Posts
Flags are available all over the Silver Lake area!

The ORV sticker can be purchased at Bass Pro shops, Dicks sporting goods, and probably Gander Mountain stores, call first to check. Also the flag MUST be mounted to the FRONT of the vehicle!!!

I will be camping starting Wednesday the 17th and will be there through the weekend. I'm meeting up with about 50 people who have these,

We will be there all weekend by the dune exit on the border of the pedestrian dunes. At least two of us have FJ's.
I hope a bunch of forum members can make it, the dunes are a BLAST!!!:rocker::rocker::rocker:

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Thanks for info everyone going to pick the stuff up. I am on the fence for that weekend I am getting new gears within the next week or so and not sure they will be broke in enough by the 20th. Will post up as time gets closer.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flags are available all over the Silver Lake area!

The ORV sticker can be purchased at Bass Pro shops, Dicks sporting goods, and probably Gander Mountain stores, call first to check. Also the flag MUST be mounted to the FRONT of the vehicle!!!

I will be camping starting Wednesday the 17th and will be there through the weekend. I'm meeting up with about 50 people who have these,
We will be there all weekend by the dune exit on the border of the pedestrian dunes. At least two of us have FJ's.
I hope a bunch of forum members can make it, the dunes are a BLAST!!!:rocker::rocker::rocker:
Cool. I saw some RC cars while I was there last July but did not see you. Where are you camping?

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Bump

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
See you there !!!

:clap::rocker:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those coming in from out of the area or for the first time please make note of the edit I did on my first post. You are required to get a voucher for entry into the dunes during weekends.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
The Mears forecast for Sat. is showers . Temps in the low 70's .
Is this a rain or shine gathering ?
Redboat

·
Registered
59 Posts
This is great. Im heading up that way from central OH for vacation on Saturday. I will be staying about an hour south. Is there some place close to the dunes that I can pick up a flag and permit? Do I need a permit if I go there during the week?

Im used to the sand in the Outer Banks in a Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover and Nissan Titan. This will be my 1st trip in the sand with an FJ. Other than tires, what do you recommend for 4-Wheel drive mode in this sand? I admitt that Im confused with all the options on an FJ.

Lastly, what else is there to do in that or the Grand Haven area. This is my 1t time to MI and would really appreciate any recommendations. BTW, I have two teenage kids.

Thanks,
Jim

1 - 20 of 39 Posts