Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been studying what kind of bike rack to get. The roof ones seemed good until I imagined trying to get my bike way up there without dropping it or scratching something, and then there's the running into things problem. The trailer hitch one seems good but it's expensive. I liked the idea of the spare tire kind until I started reading that you shouldn't open your door with the bike on the rack and I just don't want to be bothered with that.

So, I stole an idea from some posts I saw on here and made it cheaper, easier (for me because I have no metal skills) and took it one step further and actually strapped the bike down (after remembering how I did it in my motocross days).

Pros of this solution:

- Cheap ($25, a piece a wood I already had, some duct tape, and straps I already had)
- Easy
- Secure
- No one can rear-end you and hurt your bike (just your fj)
- There are no bikes on the roof to knock off

Cons of this solution:

- Cheap
- Can only hold one bike
- You have to remove the front wheel
- You have to put the seat down

I hope this helps people figure out more solutions and share them.

Without further ado, here's what I am going to start using to transport my bike:

Initial install

Strapped down

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Great work! Simple too.

There was a user on here a while back that was making something similar, but they were aluminum strips with "FJ" cut into it. I think it was pricey though.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
very nice, love the bike, I have a Trek 6000 series. hard tail MTB

·
Registered
83 Posts
another easy way to do this is to use the extendable bike tubes (they look like shower curtain holders) they make them for universal truck bike mounts. you just wedge it between the bottom plastic. you can easily fit two in there... my 2c

·
Registered
141 Posts
I made up something very similar to the above and it works great. And I never did like carrying my nice road bike on the outside of my vehicles. I have a Tuffy center console, so you will see that I have to move the rear tire off to the side to make it fit. Here are a shots of my version of the quick and dirty interior bike rack:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Very cool. This is how i've been tranporting my bikes as well. It is possible to fit two in their though. Its tight, but doable. Orignally i was going to attached the fork mount to the back of the rear seat mount, but figured...

1.- Wouldn't be very strong since i wouldn't have been able to get a nut and washer on the back side

2.- Would be a pain trying to drag the forks across the floor while hudled inside the rear of the FJ.

I made up something very similar to the above and it works great. And I never did like carrying my nice road bike on the outside of my vehicles. I have a Tuffy center console, so you will see that I have to move the rear tire off to the side to make it fit. Here are a shots of my version of the quick and dirty interior bike rack:

Nice! I like your hanger system for you helmets! great idea! Are those custom brakets, or is that just the helmet strap?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Nice! I like your hanger system for you helmets! great idea! Are those custom brakets, or is that just the helmet strap?
Those are the mini-Quick Fist that the helmet is hanging on. I replaced the stock coat hook hangers with mini Quick Fist and they come in handy for all sorts of stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very cool. This is how i've been tranporting my bikes as well. It is possible to fit two in their though. Its tight, but doable. Orignally i was going to attached the fork mount to the back of the rear seat mount, but figured...

1.- Wouldn't be very strong since i wouldn't have been able to get a nut and washer on the back side

2.- Would be a pain trying to drag the forks across the floor while hudled inside the rear of the FJ.

I am having trouble getting a 58cm bike to fit like this. I hadn't tried a diagonal angle to get clearance for the length, which might work. The height, however, exceeds the cabin height. I'm reluctant to lower the seat post, having been fitted for the road bike. What size is your bike? Thoughts on addressing height clearance besides lowering seat post? Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts