Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to mounting my auxiliary back-up light. Since I really wasn't up to tearing apart the roof rack to run wiring, I came up with a simpler (and inexpensive) means.

The very bright 55 Watt utility/flood light was $10.95 at Walmart, along with a quick-disconnect plug and some 12 gauge wiring was all that was needed. (Total cost: @ $16.)

A slightly-fabricated (and painted) L-bracket fit right into the center of the spare tire mounting hub and used the existing holes for mounting of the bracket, as well as, feeding the wiring through behind the spare tire mount.

The light does not protrude beyond the depth of the spare tire.

And, spare tire removal only requires that one easy bolt be removed (about 30 seconds), and unplugging the quick-disconnect (about 3 seconds) . . . . and the entire light comes right off.

The ground (-) wire for the light is attached to the back of one of the L-bracket's mounting bolts. The positive (+) lead runs inside of the lower plastic molding across the bottom of the door, up through the door wiring grommet into the cab (in the same manner as the CB antenna cable), and forward to the 12V relay under the hood.

Light activation is done with the panel-mounted switch.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: Simple BackUp Light install . . . .

Very nicely done! Does this come on automatically when the car is shifted into reverse, or does it work via the switch only?

Reason I ask is that I have my reverse lights hooked up to a switch, and I would like to figure out how to get them to come on automatically when I am backing up...

Looks very good though--if mine weren't already on the roof I would have gone this route...

·
Registered
570 Posts

To get a switch selectable on/off/reverse only light function, you'll need to tap the backup light signal under the dash, along with a (switched) 12V and route them through a SPDT switch, with the center pole of the switch wired to the relay for the backup lamp(s).

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Does this come on automatically when the car is shifted into reverse, or does it work via the switch only?

Reason I ask is that I have my reverse lights hooked up to a switch, and I would like to figure out how to get them to come on automatically when I am backing up...
No, mine only come on manually when I activate the interior switch. However, sending a feed from your OEM reverse light power to your auxiliary back-up lights' relay will do the job for you. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts

Awesome steve!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Nice Job Steve, clean and easy.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts

a very nice and siml\ple install,great job.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

Looks good Steve. Could you show me how you ran the positive wire? I'm not sure you run it into the plastic panel inside. Did you have it go throught the lower portion of the hitch on the right or did you drill?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

Nice install, the light looks great!!:rocker:

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Great install! Did that disconnect come with the lights?
Thanks, Matt. :) No, the quick-disconnect is something I bought at a CB shop a few years back. But, I've seen them at Radio Shack off and on.

·
The Laughing Member
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

Looks good Steve. Could you show me how you ran the positive wire? I'm not sure you run it into the plastic panel inside. Did you have it go throught the lower portion of the hitch on the right or did you drill?
I forgot to take a pic before I heaved the spare tire back on. :eek:

The positive (+) lead runs down the back of the spare tire to the plastic molding (which is actually two halves that meet in the center). There's a screw that allows the molding to be snapped away from the door at the lower edge.

I tucked the wire behind the exterior molding and ran it along the bottom edge until it reached the left edge of the door. From there, it followed the molding (that wraps around into the interior) up to the door wiring grommet.

Nope, no drilling required. :D

·
Registered
559 Posts

Steve,
Nice clean, cheap and functional mod. Steve your rig is ever evolving. You must wake up in the middle of the night with new ideas.
I can't wait to see you FJ at the Summit.
See you next week.
Tomas
Tomas

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

Thanks for the clarification Steve. Very clean install. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts