Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 FJ - Iceberg White
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I just finished the first half, or 2/3 of my version of a sleeping platform and wanted to share. It measures 75“ x 27", plenty of room for one average human.

My goal was to make something simple, removable, and still allow the use of the back seats. The back seat bottoms do need to be removed, but it all fits in the cargo area with the seats up for storage or transport. Most of the ideas I found across this site were above the wheel wells, and quite bulky and more or less permanent. Once I had an idea of what I wanted I did a lot of brainstorming before my friend gave me the idea of how to join the pieces together. The ideas actually started out much more complex and got simpler the more I thought it through.

I have only finished the 2/3 seat area so far, and probably won't get motivated to finish the rest as long as I'm single .

Materials - why:
  • 1/2" 5 ply sanded plywood - for the main base.
  • 1/2" x 3/4" angle aluminum - to 'lock' the two halves together. The front piece is bolted to the bottom of the board and has the bottom on the L pointing toward the roof. The back piece is the opposite, with the bottom of the L facing the floor. They are bolted with a 1/16" gap from the board and slot together tightly.
  • 10-32 x 1/2" flat head bolts - used to attach the angle aluminum to the Ply. I countersunk the holes in the aluminum so they don't stick up much.
  • 10-32 x 1/2“ T nuts - drilled and hammered into the board, leaving it nearly flush and imperceptible under the carpet.
  • Indoor-outdoor carpet - cover the bare wood.
  • 3M Super 77 spray adhesive - fix the carpet to the boards.
  • Staples - fix the carpet to the board.
  • Trunk ratchet set - supports the head area. I had all kinds of ideas for a support there, even though it's actually not really necessary unless you have a really huge heavy noggin. I store that tool kit on the passenger floor there anyway and it turned out the perfect height and works great.
Tools used:
  • Table saw
  • Circular saw
  • Hammer
  • Screwdriver
  • Mill file - some of the T nuts were too close to the edge
  • Drill and bits

The seam where the halves join:

·
A-Team Moderator
10,802 Posts
Nice!

Get some window Vent Guards for airflow and don't forget to the rear window & door opener mod. ;)

The latch is just to the right of the hole and the latch sweeps right to open. Thanks @Lmmmmm

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
20130324_170102_zps2bd31545.jpg

20130324_170219_zps34357a7b.jpg

·
Registered
2011 FJ - Iceberg White
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice!

Get some window Vent Guards for airflow and don't forget to the rear window & door opener mod. ;)

The latch is just to the right of the hole and the latch sweeps right to open. Thanks @Lmmmmm

View attachment 1132564

View attachment 1132565
Thanks Hannibal. I've already got the AVS exterior vent visors, I love 'em. I've been using the small carabiners on a short piece of webbing to vent the back. I plan on adding the rear window release button as soon as I can settle on a switch I like. I think I'll forego the latch release and just hang my monkey arm out the back window and pull the handle, but we'll see I guess.

Sent from my S3_Pro using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts