Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Sinking Seat Syndrome

7K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  MattM 
#1 ·
My FJ has the dreaded sinking seat syndrome, read on the forums about seat replacements, but can't find a fix (my 09 FJ has 92000 on it)

Any solutions? It's become personal. I get it up but it just goes down...LOL i thought of a few solutions
1. Keep pumping it up while in use
2. Wedge a small blue pill in the handle mechanism to keep it up.
3. Prop it up so it wont drop.

Any help?

'don't let me down'

#2 ·
Mine has to be pumped up ever few days. I figured it was from sliding out off the seat upon exiting.

#5 ·
Mine does it too. Mine also makes a popping sound when my weight shifts in the seat when I'm going around sharper corners, like turning from a stop sign. FWIW, I'm 5'8" and 160lbs. Wonder if some of the anchor bolts are loose?

#7 ·
The TSB and the Toyota fix just amounts to replacing parts with newer copies of same. It does not alter the design. So it has been reported that it just starts doing it again after a short while.

I have to pump mine back up about once a week.

If I decide to take it out and look under there, I will report what I find.

#8 ·
I sometimes feel that my seat is in a lower position a couple days after moving it up. Seems to me by these responses it's not just me

#10 ·
Not noticed it, but I keep my seat low, so I'm unlikely to I guess...

#13 ·
I've found out down here in the south that the sink happens faster if its hotter. Don't know how or why thats possible, but if my FJ has been sitting in the garage out of the sun, I won't have to pump the seat up as often. If its been sitting out getting beat down by the sun, I find myself pumping it up every couple of days.

#19 ·
I have to do it on both my '12 RRTT and my '14 TTUE from time to time, I'll be riding along and all of a sudden, (not really- just a saying) I 'll look up and see my Rear View Mirror is no longer looking out the rear window.
I am 6' 0" and I like to ride high with the seat all the way up most of the time, except when it is drifting!
I'll ask my Toyota Store about it, although they could never duplicate it!
My blue one needs a service next month, I will report back to the group what they do about it!!....gm

Reactions: FatJohnson
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.