Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my 07 FJ has the notorious sinking seat syndrome. I have read many threads about the issue and know its pretty common especially in the early ones. Most threads on this issue are pretty old. All of the fixes that I have read about involve getting the dealership to do a warranty replacement on the seat, since I am well outside of the warranty period I was curious if anyone has come up with fix for this.

My seat doesn't even last a week at the level I want it, at first I thought my rear view mirror was moving around, because I was constantly adjusting it then I realized it was my seat. I have resorted to just putting the seat at its lowest setting but that is really annoying.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I haven't read up on it yet, but yes mine sinks too. I also wondered how the hell my rear view got moved at first.
It does stay up longer than a week though. Sometimes I get in and can tell right off it needs raised.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its really getting annoying. What year is yours? I have heard it gets worse with age, but I am not sure. All of the threads I have read say that most people got it fixed through the dealership under warranty or soon after the warranty ran out. They had the whole seat replaced not just a small part.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Great. Something new to worry about. ;) I haven't experienced it yet and both my wife and I are "sturdy" so I assume it's just a matter of time... Bookmarking this thread.

Reactions: BOBTAILFJ

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Yeah its really getting annoying. What year is yours? I have heard it gets worse with age, but I am not sure. All of the threads I have read say that most people got it fixed through the dealership under warranty or soon after the warranty ran out. They had the whole seat replaced not just a small part.
Mine has build date of 7/06. I bought it with 32k mi on it. It now has 65k, seat has slowly sank since I bought it. It appears mileage isn't a factor. I weigh 205lbs. I'm not sure what the original owner weighed. He traded it to the dealer I bought it from. Like I said I haven't looked into it yet. Hopefully there is a replaceable shock of some sort. I have leather seats so a salvage seat would be impossible to match.

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Just looked at a parts list and it doesn't look like the parts are available separately. Mine sinks also and I just leave it down during my daily drives, mostly due to laziness , but raise it for road trips. I read a post on here once with the cheapest and easiest repair, the poster set the height and propped a piece of wood somewhere under the seat to hold the seat up. I know it's kinda ghetto but a seat is pretty pricey.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I hope my adjustable leather FJ seat doesn't turn into one of those cheap ass walmart office chairs with the shock that gives out without notice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I thought I was just shrinking with age. But after reading this thread I realize that my seat has been sinking too. I didn't know it was a thing, shrinking seats and all.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Had that problem with my '07. Dealer fixed it under the TSB and all was well, until recently. Now I'm sinking once again. I think this time I will see about just blocking it up. It is the only annoyance I've encountered in the ten years with my FJ that that really pizzez me off.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The seat on my 2013 slowly lowers. Every few weeks I pump it up a bit. It has always been this way and hasn't gotten worse so it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Same thing here ('12) had it in to the dealer 8 times, It's starting to do it again, sometimes every day, sometimes once a week. I give up, just pump it up where I want it when I need to.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
My '07( 06/06 with 146000km ) sinks but not in a week, it takes longer and doesn't sink much, almost one full pump. Nothing serious yet though.

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found an old thread where the OP took apart the lever and sprayed WD40 in the mechanism and he said it fixed his, I have not idea how that would help but I'm will to try it just to see.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Put six more pumps into her today after work..

PS, I don't know how the hell wd 40 would help?? Wouldn't lubrication make the sinking worse.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts