Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. I have a 2011 FJ cruiser which I bought back in December and then moved from SC to CO. It's a stock FJ with some new falken windpeaks and a snorkel that I think was probably a factory option. I've enjoyed taking the FJ out on the OHV trails and it's been pretty capable even without any lift. However, I am starting to think I should invest in some skid plates for peace of mind and also to enable me to be a little more aggressive with the trail selections. I'm also open to any other suggestions for gear. To give a little more detail, most of my wheeling is done with my wife and two young kids (5 and 2) without a support vehicle so I don't get too crazy. I'm not opposed getting a lift/upgraded suspension eventually, but figured I might wait until my current setup starts to fail before spending the $$. So what advice would you guys give in terms of skid plates and other recs? By no means am I a gear snob or someone who wants to just put a bunch of money into my vehicle- I'm definitely more in the camp of minimal gear/expense and at a good value, not necessarily the cool product, just whatever is a smart investment to increase my off-road experience with the family. Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
12,430 Posts
The skids plates and sliders 'll leave to the others.

Get some gear so you can self recover, straps, slings, soft shackles, come along, shovel etc.

Reactions: TexasFJ

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,399 Posts
Steel skid plates.. Bud built, RCI.. almost any rock sliders are better than nothing and certainly better than the side step rails

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steel skid plates.. Bud built, RCI.. almost any rock sliders are better than nothing and certainly better than the side step rails
Thanks for the rec. Does steel have to be painted? I see ricochet aluminum is very popular too. I don't rock crawl but the trails here are super rocky.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,399 Posts
Thanks for the rec. Does steel have to be painted? I see ricochet aluminum is very popular too. I don't rock crawl but the trails here are super rocky.

"If you Wheel, Wheel with Steel" .. Aluminum is great. it's lightweight and doesn't rust. BUT if you are actually playing around in the rocks or going down ledges Aluminum can/ high probability of gouging /getting hung up which prevents sliding. so kinda pointless if they don't work (i've hear at lease one sorry of an FJ having to be winched Down a drop off because the aluminum skid plates did not allow the FJ to slide) . Yes, you'll want to paint steel. Powder coat isn't worth it if you are going to beat them up. Good paint prep and rattle can paint/bed liner will be good and inexpensive. after a wheeling trip just shack up a can and re-coat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts