Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey if anyone in Houston or close to Houston with a oem skid plate that you do not need, and would like to sell it for a cheap price or would like to give it away please let me know. thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have one for $75 in Austin. It's in good condition. PM me if you are interested. I can get you a pic tomorrow if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Are you talking about the OEM skids or the "bling" plate up front?

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
Are you talking about the OEM skids or the "bling" plate up front?
The OEM one
Actually, there is some confusion in these two posts...

OEM means 'original equipment manufacturer'.

On Toyota FJ Cruisers, all of them have the thin, almost-sheet-metal, black splash plates, and the black plastic cover on the bottom of the gas tank. These are OEM.

Then, there is also an optional, silver, thicker-aluminum plate that goes up front that you can order your FJ Cruiser with from the factory, or buy it from Toyota to add to your vehicle later. This item is also OEM.

So, which 'skid plate' are you referring to?

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
That aluminum plate up front is an absolute joke if you are planning to use it as a skid. It's pretty much for looks only. It hangs down and decreases your clearance up front. It catches things terribly when you need to back up on the trail. Only get it if you don't plan to wheel.
Yup!

Mine is all beat up from Katemcy and other offroading trips, it currently lives in storage.

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
That aluminum plate up front is an absolute joke if you are planning to use it as a skid. It's pretty much for looks only. It hangs down and decreases your clearance up front. It catches things terribly when you need to back up on the trail. Only get it if you don't plan to wheel.
Sorry to my good friend, MrBigAxe, but I have to disagree....not in spirit, but in content.

The 'bling' plate, while really wimpy compared to a really good skid plate (or system of plates), does in fact still have a use for some people (including some people that do actually take their FJC offroad....and seriously offroad too).

Here are my main points about how this plate may be useful (to some people)...

1. Warning marker
When I had one on my Sandi, besides what it did for me which is explained in number 2 below, it sometimes acted as a warning signal. When approaching a rock obstacle, the fact that it stuck out so far (which is normally - and rightfully so - touted as a reason for its failure as a useful object to have attached to your vehicle) actually ended up letting me know whether or not I was going to be OK rolling over a particular rock once I got far enough over it that it was near the rear diff. If it hit this bling plate, it let me know that it might also hit the rear diff, and thus I knew that I'd have to be extra careful about how to manuver the rig so that the rear diff would completely miss the rock in question.....and of course, if it was a certain amount too hight in front, that would let me know that I wasn't going to be able to get the rear diff over/around it anyway and would just turn back or choose a different line. I know that's a lame reason to buy one of these things (please do not go out and buy one for this reason...it's goofy), but since it was on there, and since it did provide this service to me, I counted the 'sticking-out' part as a benefit instead of a minus factor.

2. Free (though agreeably, very minimal) protection
As I just said, I would not recommend buying one of these things at full price. If you want good protection under there, just save up for a real skid plate, do the research and get the right thing for your planned activity range, driving style and budget.

There's the rub for some of us though....the budget.
We got our FJC without this skid plate from the factory, because we didn't want to spend the extra money for something that we knew we'd just be replacing at some point in the relatively near future anyway.

Since I was not able to purchase a real skid plate right away, when a friend offered his to me for free (after helping him install his new Rasta, aluminum skid plate set), I gladly took it and installed it immediately before even leaving his house.

Over the months that it was on there, since it is fairly flimsy and wimpy, and since I actually do serious wheeling, it got scratched, dented, bent, and became almost unrecognizable at one point. In fact, at one point, someone else offered another one to me for free and I jumped at that one too.....took the old one off and put that one right on there.

However, the fact that it was not 'as good' (or anywhere near as good) as one of the 'real' skid plates out there did not mean it was completely. Judging from the number of times that it got bashed, clunked and gouged by rocks, it (they) probably saved me (or Toyota) thousands of dollars in repair bills simply because it took the beating so that my poor Sandi didn't have to.

Of course, when All-Phase (Longmont, CO, no longer in business) offered up their skid plate for so cheap, I jumped on it in order to get a real skid plate under there in August of 2009. Since then, I have definitely been more secure in knowing that I finally have really good protection under there, and this thing shows it (though it's not all mangled like the other one was...and this one has seen far worse conditions and more extreme episodes that that old wimpy one).

However, I will never forget what the free-to-me wimpy stock bling plate did for me before I was able to get the good one that I have now.

If you don't think you'll be able to afford a really good skid plate for a while and, in the mean time, you can get one of the wimpy stock bling plates for free or really cheap, by all means do it!

Oh, and no matter how much ribbing you take from other wheelers for letting your embarrassed little FJC wear that goofy thing, at least you'll know on the inside that you really are doing something positive to help protect your vehicle (even though it's at such a reduced level compared to the good ones out there), at the budget level (free or really cheap) that you're dealing with presently.

Yup!

Mine is all beat up from Katemcy and other offroading trips, it currently lives in storage.
Indeed. My point exactly. If you hadn't had that thing on there, your rig might be the thing that's all beat up from Katemcy and other offroading trips. As it is, at least it gave you some level of protection for what it was worth for a short period of time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts