Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I have in person seen that kind of damage to Rasta's multiple times.

I do not want to start another Rasta vs Bud debate. The last one got ugly enough.

I have Buds and have put them to the test many times and they do what they are supposed to. They protect important components.

Here are pictures of my steel skids. They got bent as well, but they protected everything and didn't buckle like aluminum skids do.

My take on the whole thing is, if you are getting skids, go with steel and I don't care what brand. Aluminum and HDPE are for show.

Also, if you aren't going to push your vehicle that hard......e.g. have a vehicle with a 6" lift and 37" tires while you go over 10" rocks, or, you are going to play in sand all day, you might as well cover the under-carriage with paper-towel and spend the cash on something else. You really don't need skids then. But, if you are going to hit some rocks and need protection, steel is the way to go.

Please don't flame me. I don't have a vested interest in steel or any skid manufacturers. Just my two cents.
:simmadown:We all have different experiences and opinions. Don't take it so personally!

BTW, let me know if you find a good paper towel skid maker, maybe I'll go with those next!:bigthumb:

·
Banned
457 Posts
:simmadown:We all have different experiences and opinions. Don't take it so personally!

BTW, let me know if you find a good paper towel skid maker, maybe I'll go with those next!:bigthumb:
My apologies. I didn't realize I was getting that serious.

You haven't heard of the paper towel skids yet? I think the manufacturer is called Under The Top Rista or something. Pretty cool concept actually. They are going to give people some free stuff so they can market it. Paper towel skids with aluminum paper clips and HDPE washers. Should work flawlessly.

Also, I think they are going to put gas tanks under the whole under-carriage so the gas tanks can take the load of the skids and not buckle or tear.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
But will they be absorbent enough to keep water out of my diffs?

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I'm sorry to the OP. Seriously, read around here. There are tons of threads about skids. You need to evaluate what conditions you'll be running in and go from there.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
I want egg shell skid plates next :rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
maybe recycled coke cans all formed together for me? ne body want to donate a can to help me protect my fj?
You're gonna be stuck battling the tweakers for their cans if that's what you're gonna do!

I think for absorbency, the kotex skids would be best. One plus is you can just stick them up there, no bolts to shear off!

·
Registered
628 Posts
I agree that there some skids are stronger than others but I think we can all agree that having something there to help break the fall is better than a direct hit to a major component. Except for the whole paper towel skid, that could get kinda ulgy... :lol:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Seems like the land rover LR3's are having good results with rasta plates... But then again I don't think they wheel as hard as us FJ people.

But if you think about it... The Rastas will still do it's job of blunting hard impacts enough to not damage vital components... Sure they get flattened out like in the pictures but more importantly the truck was still mobile with no other damage than flattened skids.

I think the Rastas could be even more rigid if extra support was welded into the folded sides... Like trusses or a rigid steel beam... Then it wouldn't flatten out

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
said it before...but the argument of which skid is best is ridiculous as nobody wheels the same and every trail is different. here is my take...

If all I do is sand, mud, light rock and some clear cut fields....likely dont need them but might one time.

If I have UHDPE, or Rastas, or Buds.....and I slam on a rock and it bends the **** out of the skids but my transmission or transfer or oil pan is protected without a scratch....THEN I would say it did its job no matter what it looks like afterwards.

I do not give a damn what they are made of or the haters that say you suck if you get this brand and not this brand instead. The purpose is to protect your undercarriage no matter what damage is incurred by the skids themselves.

now on other hand you slam down a 6 foot ledge onto another pointy rock and your skids fail and you lose your oil pan or drive shaft.....then you obviously picked wrong and will learn from your mistake.

So what am I saying..... stop with the bashing of one PROVEN brand over another. Decide what you might need and want given the terrain in your area....not what they crawl in MOAB or South Georgia but your area where 95% of your wheeling will take place. I think all of the reputable companies models will survive one or two trips to extreme areas...and even the ones being used as a sig pic look like they still protected the undercarriage even though they were much more worse for wear.

If you are comfortable with UHDPE and like the reduced weight...go for it and dont let anyone give you ****. If you like aluminum or steel or galvanized sheets....likewise go for it. Only time someone should give you crap over your choice is if they are towing you home after a busted diff or oil pan...then they can in jest as you are the one footing the repair bill...not them.

My 2 cents.... get what you are comfortable with as all of the models mentioned and used on this forum are successful products with testing to back up their claims and real world use to back it up.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a stock FJ (with Off-road package) and run BudBuilts. I completely agree that any skids are better than nothing. I know mine have saved me MANY times. Be prepared to hear a lot more noises as you do lose some clearance but you gain much more in protection and piece of mind. Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
739 Posts
x2 on Brock's comments. When I first looked into skids there were some good threads that lead into bad ones...a division amongst owners and it made me sick. I wanted a sturdy, reliable, time tested product with good customer service and fortunately I found it with the product I have.

Like Brock said, go with what best suits you. If you are concerned about things like weight and fuel economy then something made of aluminum is for you, if you want serious protection then something like stainless or galvanized steel is a sturdier option. Don't do the norm and go with what everyone else has. Everyone has a different opinion about a product. Consider your options and make a wise decision, and if you are unsatisfied and can afford to replace them then do so.

·
Registered
391 Posts
You could always try making some of your own skids. I wasnt extremely fond of many of the current 'belly pan' skid designs (esp with no auto trans pan to bang up), so I made my own front skid out of HDPE. It has taken some hard hits and is still holding very strong. I havent weighed it, but its about the same as the stock plate, maybe slightly lighter.

I also just finished welding up a transmission crossmember skid after taking a few hard hits to the edges of the crossmember. This one is made of 3/16" steel, is lighter than a full belly pan, and loses practically no ground clearance over stock.

There isnt really a 'right' or 'wrong' type of skid out there, you just have to evaluate the type of wheeling you do and decide on a solution that fits your needs. :bigthumb:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts