Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well now that we have our own sub forum :rocker: I felt like we should make a official thread about the ride. So maybe more Utah people can see!

Time: 10am, Sunday, October 28th

Meeting Place: Bountiful Trailhead: From I-15, take the Bountiful 400 North Exit and head east towards the mountains. Turn on left on 1300 East, which will curve around east to become paved Skyline Drive. This road will turn R to become Eagle Ridge Drive. About 0.1 mile after the road turns to dirt (directly under the big "B" on the mountain, it will turn sharply left and begin climbing the hill.) GPS N 40° 53.739' W 111° 50.752'. (Best "address" we could get...sorry)

More info about trail: Skyline Drive

Who's attending so far :
FredtheFJ
SmallDog
1/2mill90 + nephew & friend
BigErn
Dave(Man)
Ferby
... and hopefully more!!

Cant wait! Its gonna be a good one!! :rocker:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Nephew just called. He had some time and since it snowed down there he drove part way up the mountain to check on conditions for skyline. He said it was like a summer day. Dry roads.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
should be fun to see what we can find....supposed to snow next couple days....looking forward to some slush atleast

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea got some snow today! Hope its not to bad up there but if it is..... thats why they made Atrac!! :lol:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just FYI Mr Jiblet and I are going Saturday morning because we can't go Sunday. 11:30am at the parking lot under the Bountiful "B". Possibly joined by 2 other FJs and a 4Runner. PM me if you might come. We'll post photos if there's anything surprising on the scout out.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just FYI Mr Jiblet and I are going Saturday morning because we can't go Sunday. 11:30am at the parking lot under the Bountiful "B". Possibly joined by 2 other FJs and a 4Runner. PM me if you might come. We'll post photos if there's anything surprising on the scout out.
Have fun!! :cheers: Tell us how much snow is up there! Looks like a Ton from down here!! :rocker:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sorry for a repost but in case you're not on the other thread:

Ok. We grabbed photo but I don't know if ill have time to upload them tonight. We got up to the high Parking lot where the road splits to the back side of the valley heading S and the other one heading North around the mountain. Was about 6-7 miles to there. Both looked fishy but I took the south turn route. It wasn't quite icy but the snow was pretty packed. I had no idea when it would turn around so I had a genius idea to turn around on the trail. Got icy under the tires and got to use brand new my snatch strap! Mr Jiblet came down the trail to save me and a hunter on an ATV gave me a pull to straighten me out. Turns out there is a turn around maybe 1/4 after that so we went up and turned around there.

If you only want to drive to the top, it will probably be fine. It did get icy though and there's no way you could do the whole loop. An ATV said he saw a truck getting towed out up by the north end of the loop. So a long trip probably won't happen. I'm probably the least experienced here so you guys can decide but we definitely used 4Lo at the top and on the way down.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh great now I'm having second thoughts about missing church to go offroading..... :rofl: I'll probably be the first to turn around... :lol:

So from what I understand you guys only made it to the part where its switches back east and heads down to the ponds??

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
i'm new to Utah so feel a bit of a disadvantage as all my 4X4 experience is in the Sierra Nevadas but i would think as the day goes on it gets less icy right? If and when it gets too sketchy then we evaluate from there....

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
It does sound like it may be icy and from the report. The road isn't one where you don't want good traction....Narrow single track and on the return, it's all downhill. It isnt so easy to turn around in spots and you def dont want to go sliding off the road, LOL.

I think all of the side trails will be inaccessible and too sketchy in snow and ice...Now I'm wishing we picked a spot in the desert, LOL Last year skyline would have been clear for most of the winter.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It does sound like it may be icy and from the report. The road isn't one where you don't want good traction....Narrow single track and on the return, it's all downhill. It isnt so easy to turn around in spots and you def dont want to go sliding off the road, LOL.

I think all of the side trails will be inaccessible and too sketchy in snow and ice...Now I'm wishing we picked a spot in the desert, LOL Last year skyline would have been clear for most of the winter.
Yea I think I'm gonna go till it turns narrow and turn around. But if anyone wants to go up further thats on them! :lol: But maybe if we end the day early we can catch a bite to eat! So 1/2mill doesn't drive so far just to turn around! :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Me too!!! About to head out in a little bit!! Smalldog r u still coming?? and I don't have a CB yet... So cant help u there...

1 - 20 of 67 Posts