Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys.. probably this has been asked or posted before.. but I tried searching and really didn't find what I was looking for.

Thing is.. My wife and I are going on a short beach expedition/roadtrip next weekend and are thinking of overnighting inside the FJ instead of heading back during the night..

No tent, no 'camping gear' per se.. just a pair of sleeping bags + pillows and that's it.

Now I know the rear seats are not flat folding so was wondering of the misadventures some of you may have had and how have you managed. If you can provide pictures of how you set it up, even better! :bigthumb:

PS - If there's and already existing thread please point me towards it..

·
Registered
20 Posts
My FJ is lifted/leveled, so that helps with the angle some. I also will usually try to park somewhere on an incline where the front is slightly higher than the back. I then recline my seat all the way back and that is usually very comfortable for me, since the angle is basically pretty close to horizontal..

My last truck, a Dodge Dakota, the seat hardly went back at all and I could never sleep inside the vehicle comfortably. Yet I did it many times :(

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would recommend a high quality sleeping pad to go under the bag. Other than that, sleeping in the back of the FJ is fairly comfortable.

·
fka Mojave FJ
440 Posts
Get a 3" thick pad and cut it to fit the lower area in the back then sleep with your head towards the rear door so your body is on the pad. Your legs will be level on the higher part with the 3" pad on the lower part.

·
Registered
201 Posts
But the rear seats are flat folding. Take off the headrests.
I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I'm not being condescending. :)
Go fold your seats, and then look at where the seat back meets the cargo floor. Tell me that you wouldn't mind spending a night on that. Don't mean to be condescending...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanx for the info guys..

Yeah.. this is just our first overnight with the FJ and will probably be just for a power nap so we don't head back while still 'under the influence' and in the break of dawn..

Will look into a cheapy inflatable mattress.. if not will just tell her to bring her Yoga mat :p

Saw some of the setups some have done.. and they are awesome, although a bit over the top for our particular needs.. but great ideas all over the place..

:cheers:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hello
I designed a storage box that retains the sleeping trays under the roll out drawer. It had three parameters.
1. It needed to have a tray that allowed a queen sized bed for the wife & I (had to be a queen if the kids wanted to snuggle) when both trays are assembled.
2. I wanted the ability to set it up with the rear seats folded up if I was by myself and be able to hop in the front seat & drive. I could tell by measureing it all out that my 5'11" frame would require me to place my legs between the seats with only one tray assembled.
3. It needed to store a fire arm (rifle) safely, as well as all my off roading tools, air compressor & recovery gear and hence be lockable and difficult to break into.
What we built with the majority of the work being done by my fabricating friend was an aluminum box out of 10 gauge. The Runt mobile box sleeping platform is two trays that fit together when stored. It was lined with Dyna mat when finished and meet all parameters I required listed above. It is the best mod I have done to my cruiser yet. My fabricating friend claims it would cost any one about $ 600.00 to get if they walked into a reputable manufacturing/fabricating company with the same idea and detailed design I presented him. It took us about 4 hrs to make and another hour to line with Dyna mat & foam for the rifle compartment. Details can be found on my build thread (see link below).
Or here:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/57469-rear-fj-utility-box-built-sleeping-platform.html
Good luck with your build pm me if I can be of any help.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Why not just kick the front seat all the way back and sleep there? I've done that once when camping where it got so darn cold that night that I slept in the FJ running the heat every so many hours. Slept reclined in the driver seat with a pillow and i was as comfortable as can be, no aches when i got up and I have lower back problems from time to time.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Here ya go!

This is from Yetti ON AZFJ forums! So what he did is make a bed that doesn't require ripping out the back seats. he welded up hinges and it all folds down in the back like many platforms we have seen. I'm going to be doing this with wood since I dont have access to scrap tube metal..and dont have money for parts either. But someday if I'm doing well I will duplicate this system its soo bad ass! Here is the link and the OP

AZFJ › Forums › Arizona FJ Discussion › General Discussion › 7'x3.5' FJ IN-CAB SLEEPER 90% complete and tested.

Yetti said:
I have been doing a lot of camping lately on the trails. I needed to have a quick and easy sleeping setup without using a RTT. I usually have kayaks on the roof and gear so I had to make an alternate setup. I am 6'6" tall and weigh 250lbs so the regular being the seats idea would not work. I also wanted to be able to retain my entire interior for hauling friends if needed. This is what I decided to fab up.

I still need to finish painting it and installing the plastic end caps. Sorry the pictures are not very good. I will try to post better ones at a later date. I did sleep in it 2 nights this weekend on the Rim and it worked great. I even used huge 4" foam pads and also 2 sleeping bags and it still left me ample head space.
Also it only weight about 20lbs. it folds down in 3 sections via welded on hinges. Extremely strong setup. It bolts to the floor and retains the factory tie down hoops. I am picking up some twist knob bolts to be able to take it out in a hurry as well. Because of thread and bolt size I had to order them. The sleeping bags and trail gear stores directly under the folded bed in the rear and coolers and additional gear also fit on top of the folded bed as a shelf. You can also fold it up and lock it in place if you want to use it as a cargo/pet barrier.

Back two sections are supported by the bottom bolting to the floor. The front section covers the front seats folded down. You have to do that in order to make it 7' long. My pillow is approx 6 inches from the steering wheel. Which makes it easy to watch the DVD's on my Pioneer AVIC D3. Also I can reach all window controls and ignition easily from the lay down position. So if it’s hot and or cold I can start the truck and use the AC/Heater. To keep the exhaust from being an issue, I have a collapsible flex house that stick in the exhaust pipe and moves it 15' from the rig.

It only takes about 5-10 minutes to completely setup and take down.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Here's what I did. Allows me to fit a coleman twin size air matress. After the first Desrt campout I had to do something. That part of the backseat will kill your back.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Don't you wish they had made the interior the way it was for the concept vehicle? How the hell did they go from the interior of that rig to what they gave us? I know it would jack the price up, but they should have kept much more of the original interior ideas.

I sleep on the ground next to my FJ if I'm car camping.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well guys.. back from this weekends adventure..

Yeah.. sleeping in the FJ without major modifications is kind of a pain.. we did manage to get by ok..

We opened up both sleeping bags and did a 'double quilt' sorta thickness with them.. laid the backseats as flat as possible and slept with heads towards the rear.. butts ended up right at the 'ramp' but was comfy enough.. my feet ended up sorta cramped with the seat bottoms folded but took a backpack and used it as a pillow of sorts to raise my feet and ramped them up..

So yeah.. verdict is that it is doable.. not too comfy, but OK for 1 overnight.. :bigthumb:

PS - Just to add, each and every single time I see how 'creative' you guys get with your rigs I wish even more I could afford to get my very own extra FJ to go as crazy with it as I'd like.. rock on guys.. :rocker:

·
Registered
635 Posts
If your FJ smeels like farts and vomit, dress warm and just sleep outside.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts