·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
FJ Cruiser Bed Platform Post 1
1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG 5.JPG
Materials: all purchased at Lowe's except Purple Heart wood used on trim to match black cherry paint. (could be substituted with your choice of wood.)
Step 1. Removal of rear seats and cargo liner.
Step 2. Build frame and bolt to existing bolt locations.
Step 3. Two section plywood liner, covered with indoor/outdoor carpet (glue to plywood).
Step 4. Both carpeted sections of plywood then screwed onto wooden frame.

Easily interchangeable between seats and bed platform.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
I switch back and forth between the seats and the platform as need be. I can make the total switch in less than 30 minutes. The FJ makes mods so easy. My wife and I went across country camping last summer and this made the journey so much easer and more enjoyable. The platform also makes hauling objects around town easier.Plus the carpet does not scratch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice Setup tomwill55,

G/F and I are doing a baja trip this year and this looks like a better way to go than a RTT!

Thanks for giving me some ideas!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here is another sleeping setup in the back of an FJ Cruiser. Just finished this little project last weekend and thought I'd share.
Built this using the following materials....

1- sheet of 3/4" plywood "Oak"
8-6' Cedar 2x2's
Decking screws and wood glue
5/8" Carpet padding 6'x6' piece
carpet 6' x 7' piece
staples for attaching pad and carpet to plywood
a couple of metric bolts and washers to fasten frame to seat bolt holes.

I purchased the carpet and padding at Home Depot and everything else at Lowes. Home Depot sells black carpet in 6' wide rolls ....... Lowes does not stock black but they do carry other colors.

Now just ad a thin Thermarest sleeping pad and your sleeping bag and you are good to go! I'm 5'-10" and can sleep diagonally with the seats slid all the way to the rear. You can slide the seats all the way forward and place a pillow on top of what ever bags or gear you stuff under the forward section of the platform with plenty of room for two.

Total project cost me around $150 a day and a half of planning, construction, and running around.......... A dry and cozy night sleep.......priceless!:)
Rear section of frame

Forward section of frame

Two piece sleeping platform from rear

Two piece sleeping platform forward view

I will be attaching two turn-buckles to the forward section of the frame for extra security. None of this project requires you to drill any holes into the vehicle it self, I just built the frame to line-up with the existing bolt hole locations. Happy Camping!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I took the bottoms of the rear seats out and blew up a Coleman twin air mattress. My 6'3" self slept pretty good.
Yeah, this thread is like, WTF? How hard is it to unscrew two knobs, pull out the bottom seat cushions so the seats fold flat, and throw an air mattress on there? You could even use the cushions as pillows if they don't smell too much like ass!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, this thread is like, WTF? How hard is it to unscrew two knobs, pull out the bottom seat cushions so the seats fold flat, and throw an air mattress on there? You could even use the cushions as pillows if they don't smell too much like ass!
Hey MFY.... there are no nobs to unscrew ....... more like four bolts. Maybe you should try just laying your seat back instead.... this would save you much more time and you wouldn't have to BLOW your air mattress either.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey MFY.... there are no nobs to unscrew ....... more like four bolts. Maybe you should try just laying your seat back instead.... this would save you much more time and you wouldn't have to BLOW your air mattress either.
Maybe it's a 2010 thing; I dunno. But as for the other suggestion.......120V AC plug + cheap air compressor or memory foam = no BLOW. Thanx for the advice anyway.

·
Registered
579 Posts
lol....many ways to do it. My sleeping platform carrys in side a locking box that holds recovery gear, air compressor, tools, etc. etc. and is always ready....even with the rear seats. Due to the design you can still put clothes, gear etc. under the platform when assembled and its cheap.....especially if you use wood. Due to it sitting a bit higher you get the benifit of the front seat rear seat back tilting father forward giving you more sleeping surface. Awesome to see diffrent options especially the wood framed ones because they are easy to build and look good.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I usually opt for a tent because the dog is with me, but the few times I have slept in the back, I just take the bottom seat cushions out and throw an air mattress back there. I'm only 5'9...5'10 on a good day and it's tight for me.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
To paraphrase Danny Vermin - Sure I slept in the FJ once... Once!

One night on the beach the wind was kicking up something fierce so on a whim I figured I'd flip the back seat forward and camp in the back instead of wrestling with a tent I should have put up hours before...

Never again. There's an obvious reason why so many take the rear seat out and/or build a flat platform back there. I'm not considered short or skinny so it was not a pleasant experience. And then the previous evening's greasy camp dinner came back to haunt me about 3am. That was when I discovered the wind had latched the rear door. Sure it's funny now, thinking about the intestinal panic/trapped rat thing I had going on, but by the time I got the front headrests off and made it out the driver's door I was seriously growing a tail. After my sweet relief I realized the wind had all but died so I tossed a blanket down just above the waterline. From there I just enjoyed the sounds of the surf and the sight of more stars than I had seen in years until the sun came up.

I love my FJ, but I obviously need to make other sleeping arrangements. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
920 Posts
Lol, growing a tail huh?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is another sleeping setup in the back of an FJ Cruiser. Just finished this little project last weekend and thought I'd share.
Built this using the following materials....

1- sheet of 3/4" plywood "Oak"
8-6' Cedar 2x2's
Decking screws and wood glue
5/8" Carpet padding 6'x6' piece
carpet 6' x 7' piece
staples for attaching pad and carpet to plywood
a couple of metric bolts and washers to fasten frame to seat bolt holes.

I purchased the carpet and padding at Home Depot and everything else at Lowes. Home Depot sells black carpet in 6' wide rolls ....... Lowes does not stock black but they do carry other colors.

Now just ad a thin Thermarest sleeping pad and your sleeping bag and you are good to go! I'm 5'-10" and can sleep diagonally with the seats slid all the way to the rear. You can slide the seats all the way forward and place a pillow on top of what ever bags or gear you stuff under the forward section of the platform with plenty of room for two.

Total project cost me around $150 a day and a half of planning, construction, and running around.......... A dry and cozy night sleep.......priceless!:)
Rear section of frame

Forward section of frame

Two piece sleeping platform from rear

Two piece sleeping platform forward view

I will be attaching two turn-buckles to the forward section of the frame for extra security. None of this project requires you to drill any holes into the vehicle it self, I just built the frame to line-up with the existing bolt hole locations. Happy Camping!!
Love the idea! may actually do this for mine! Now the obvious question, what did you do to get out of the vehicle assuming you had doors closed when sleeping.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Sleeping in your fjc

When traveling solo - think cross country .. too tired to set up camp. Came
up with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is my work in progress.

When I go bush, it is sometimes long trip (6 weeks) with many single night at a location. Being a lazy person, I was thinking to sleep inside, so there is no tent prep and pack. The Speedy tent may be a good alternative for this as well.

When completed, there will be an inflatable mattress above the blue foam base. With sleeping bag on top of all.

Good points are:
1- fridge is fixed from moving around
2- gained area under fridge for slow moving items like tools
3- the bed stored in its folded position, deployed when front seat is folded and moved forward
4- get in when it is still folded with space behind the passenger side empty, deploy once inside. To get out in reverse, stand (more bent than stand) behind passenger chair, fold bed, out.

PM me for a short video on how it all folds.

H IMG_2347.JPG IMG_2348.JPG

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

·
Desert Moderator
6,449 Posts
I've had a couple of nights in the passenger seat - both times I said never again...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts