Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nice layer of freezing rain this morning making things your basic ice skating rink. Coming to a stop was a bit challenging (ABS doesn't really seem to make much difference in these conditions). But going forward was a breeze and VSC kept her straight when coming out of slow speed 90 degree turns. Very stable rig even in the most extreme conditions, and with stock BFG's. The only difficult part is keeping your mind on the fact that road conditions are hazardous and not getting over confident.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Nice layer of freezing rain this morning making things your basic ice skating rink. Coming to a stop was a bit challenging (ABS doesn't really seem to make much difference in these conditions). But going forward was a breeze and VSC kept her straight when coming out of slow speed 90 degree turns. Very stable rig even in the most extreme conditions, and with stock BFG's. The only difficult part is keeping your mind on the fact that road conditions are hazardous and not getting over confident.
THAT is the key phrase. And a lesson to be learned by a good many on the roads in similar weather.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I took my baby to North Dakota for Christmas. Cars on both sides of the ditch. Saw two that had wheels up, overturned. That FJ held steady all the way up, and all the way back. It was secure, warm, and comfortable. What more can you ask for ? What a great ride.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hope it melts fast, if not maybe it will get "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass Monkey". Just had to say that. You hit it right on the head with slick and freezing though. Stopping or better yet control under deceleration is always the turd biter.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stopping or better yet control under deceleration is always the turd biter.
That's one of the reasons I went with a 6MT. In really bad turd biting conditions, especially downhill, compression locking up the wheels makes for scarey spinouts and such. Being able to stuff in the clutch when you take your foot off the gas keeps your wheels from locking up un-wanted.

·
Registered
322 Posts
We had some fun freezing rain 2 weeks ago, got to try my 6mt out in it. No problems fortunately, pleasantly surprised. The hardest part of the morning was trying to figure out how to get the trash cans back from the side of the road. First attempt I slide out into the road away from the trash cans. Took me forever to get out of the road. Second attempt, I did a spider-man maneuver across the back of the FJ and reached out to try to grab them. Fun times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts