Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Trail Gear sliders are starting to get rusty in spots, mainly in the tight angled corners. At first I was thinking about taking them off and getting them sandblasted and powder coated. Then I thought that maybe a better option would be to take them off and have them Line-Xed or Rhinolined in black. Figured the bed coating would make the whole thing non slip for anyone using it as a step (my wife) where the powdercoat would be slippery and need friction tape applied. I'm not a rock crawler so I'm not sliding them over rocks that would wear off whatever coating I put on them.

Any suggestions, advice of experience with the same?

·
Admin
6,481 Posts
Linex is slippery when wet as well... at least the stuff I've seen.

I just cleaned my sliders up the best I could and sprayed them with a spray can of Rustoleum.

If I had the time and spare coin I would simply remove them and get them re-powdercoated with a good zinc primer as well.... then touch 'em up with a spray can when needed.

It's always nice to make 'em pretty whenever I want with a spray can.... no matter how scratched I get them with my boots, etc.... (and the rocks of course on the underside but that won't be a factor for you)

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds good, thanks. Keep it simple!

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I vote rattle can of black Rustoleum. The powder coat on mine started flaking off 9-10 years ago. Place a piece of cardboard between the sliders and rocker panels and blackem' out. Don't worry about the appearance of sliders, there are supposed to have battle scars.

·
Registered
516 Posts
My Trail Gear sliders are starting to get rusty in spots, mainly in the tight angled corners. At first I was thinking about taking them off and getting them sandblasted and powder coated. Then I thought that maybe a better option would be to take them off and have them Line-Xed or Rhinolined in black. Figured the bed coating would make the whole thing non slip for anyone using it as a step (my wife) where the powdercoat would be slippery and need friction tape applied. I'm not a rock crawler so I'm not sliding them over rocks that would wear off whatever coating I put on them.

Any suggestions, advice of experience with the same?
I took the Line-X route with my old Trail Gear sliders. I bought them a long time ago (6-8 yrs?) and installed them powdercoated as they came from TG. Last year I had rust starting to show pretty bad at the welds and the powdercoat was starting to flake off in places. Also, as you note, they were quite slick when they got wet which wasn't a problem for me, but it was for my wife, my parents when they visited, and some others. My buddy actually helped make the decision for me............he had just bought a new Tacoma and purchased a set of sliders in a Group Buy. He took his to get Line-X'ed and I decided to tag along. So I took mine off and let Line-X take care of them. Couldn't be happier, and neither could my wife (which is important).
Like you, I'm not crawling over rocks everyday, so it wasn't unreasonable to go the Line-X route. If I were someone that did play in the rocks often, I likely wouldn't have went the Line-X route. But I'm not. So I did. :grin

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
What to do.....mine need a refurb but I'm torn:

My Teutonic OCD says remove them, sandblast, powder coat with a primer.

My Wallet says - rattle can 'em with careful aim

My Oldman way - trying to remove them after 7 years could be a PITA and possible broken bolts etc due to rust so I'll buy some penetrant and liberally soak all offending components.....forget about the project. Start over 3 months later......rinse and repeat.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,834 Posts
Yeah when my All Pro sliders get scratched or show rust I just sand it a bit and hit it with matte black Rustoleum. Not sure what the previous owner did with them (probably powdercoat).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts