Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I checked the plugs again and this is what I found (center plug, right side of the car) Keep in mind that I checked and cleaned them last week.

My wife says I'm crazy, but the car sounds different to me, vibrates more at idle, and feels like it lost some power. I changed the oil, there was nothing in the oil to indicate a problem. It doesn't smoke, engine's not leaking or nothing like that.

A little about my car, I NEVER went off roading, change oil religiously, don't beat on it.

this is how it looks/sounds when warmed up. I tried to stabilize the camera, the first few seconds are kinda shaky

Could it be clogged injectors or blown head gasket??
What's the best way to check the compression?

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
Your engine sounds about like mine and yours appears to shake less than mine. Yes I said "less".

As far as the oil in the spark plug hole that looks like a simple O-ring problem between the valve cover and the head is all.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your engine sounds about like mine and yours appears to shake less than mine. Yes I said "less".

As far as the oil in the spark plug hole that looks like a simple O-ring problem between the valve cover and the head is all.

DEWFPO

my car has only 12000 miles on the odo..

would this be considered normal?

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
my car has only 12000 miles on the odo..

would this be considered normal?
If your talking about the O-ring..... Then no, of course it's not normal. Sounds like your still under warranty. The dealer should pick up the tab on this one.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's not just the o-ring, it's the whole cam cover gasket

Very easy fix, and the gasket is fairly cheap from the dealer. But at 12K miles I would let them fix it:cheers:

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's not just the o-ring, it's the whole cam cover gasket

Very easy fix, and the gasket is fairly cheap from the dealer. But at 12K miles I would let them fix it:cheers:
Dito. Let the dealer fix it up. Your engine sounded normal to me btw.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your talking about the O-ring..... Then no, of course it's not normal. Sounds like your still under warranty. The dealer should pick up the tab on this one.

DEWFPO

I'm out of the country (europe) US warranty doesnt work here......

How hard is it to replace the head gasket?

·
Registered
109 Posts
if it was the head gasket you would see oil in the engine coolant

I bet it is the cam cover gasket. Just pull out all the plugs and it's like 8 or so 10mm nuts to unscrew and lift it straight up.

Should only take about 30 minutes to do the passenger side. Drivers side takes a little more work because you need to remove the black plastic intake manifold. But still very easy.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if it was the head gasket you would see oil in the engine coolant

I bet it is the cam cover gasket. Just pull out all the plugs and it's like 8 or so 10mm nuts to unscrew and lift it straight up.

Should only take about 30 minutes to do the passenger side. Drivers side takes a little more work because you need to remove the black plastic intake manifold. But still very easy.

any idea what would cause this at such low milage?

·
Vendor
542 Posts
The oil in the spark plug tube does not look like to much to worry about.

Keep an eye on it. If it gets worse it can be fixed.

The tubes are pressed into the head and sealed at the bottom with an epoxy type stuff. The tube can be removed, cleaned and resealed. Not a big deal.

G

1 - 12 of 12 Posts