Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to the FJ world and 4x4 in general. I am very mechanically inclined (industrial maintenance technician). I build cars on the side as well, that being said I know very little about 4x4 systems in general.

We've put 600 miles on our FJ and we love it! When I first take off in the morning I have a slight vibration for the first 5 or so miles then it seems to go away but I'm left with what I feel is a little too much noise.
First thought was the wheel bearings but as I crawled under the vehicle I noticed the rear drive shaft was a little wet (see photos). The noise stays constant even when put in neutral cruising. Should I be concerned? Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Drive shaft is fine its just spitting out a bit of grease from the u joints....mine look the same. Maybe your tires are a little flat spotted until they warm up in the morning. I would say check your wheel weights but you said it goes away after a few minutes. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
If you just got it maybe change all the fluids on it. Rear diff , transfer case, Front diff. All super easy to do. Maybe see if that quiets anything down. Transmission fluid and power steering fluid also easy to do :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what's next on the list, planned on changing every fluid in it. The vehicle is super clean and even has a Toyota battery in it. Looks like it was serviced at the dealer maybe? I don't have service records but everything is super clean engine and transmission wise.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,880 Posts
I dont think you would typically get much noise from the driveshaft - it it were a U-joint you would likely get vibration all the time and maybe worse once warmed up.

Verify it isnt the tires. Also check the CV axles. If it looks like they have been losing or have lost their grease then they can cause vibration and noise.

That driveline looks pretty well kept, but you could go ahead and hit all the zerks. There are the 3 in that drive shaft, and 3 in the front one too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts