Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Slo4x4- Spartan-003

I figured I would at least start a build thread so I can get opinions and have discussion pertaining to my build.
Opinions are welcome and appreciated.

The Current Steed. 2012 Trail Teams(2/15/14)

I do not plan on doing all that much crawling(it just isnt my thing) but trail runs and just plain going off pavement is the extent. I want to build it to get me places that you don't normally get to see and be able to get me home at the end of the day. As far as right now in my life it will most likely turn into a camping vehicle since I cant seem to get away from work longer than a few days at a time.

I do ALOT of travelling so mods will be seperated by months for lack there of time and money. But that is also the great thing. I get to appreciate each individual mod and have time to adjust to each one.

Personal goal is to pay most of the FJ off before I start getting to wild and crazy.(2/15/15--ya that didn't really happen. All though I have been paying larger payments.)

Mods to date (updated 2/15/15)
Interior

-Coverking Seat Covers
-Plasti Dip'd Center Section
-Ellis Precision Parking lever
-Ellis Precision Gear Selector
-Ellis Precision Transfer Case Knob
-Mpac Pet Barrier
-Mpac Rear Door Rack W/ Packs
-Mpac Side Rack W/Emergency First Aid
-Mpac Front Console Rack W/ Packs
-Scangauge 2
-First Aid Pack
-Spod

Exterior

-Plasti Dip'd Emblems
-Smoked Turn Signals
-2012 Apocalypse badge (Black)
-Curt Tow Hitch
-FJ Freedom Windows
-Factory matching front window tint
-Gobi Ladder
-Demello Hybrid Sliders
-40" LED light bar
-Baha Rack W/Spy Light system
-Demello Off-Road Rally Bumper
-Bad Lands 12k Winch
-3/8 Synthetic line
-Toytec Fairlead
-Factor 55 Prolink
-Factor 55 Hitchlink
-Rigid 6" amber floods(2)

Needs Installed
Ironman Dual Battery Kit

Things Ordered

Items waiting to be purchased
Wheels (Methods)
Tires (GT Grabber 2)
Lift (Toytec because I like adjustability and I don't need anything crazy)
-Skids
-More lights
-Second Battery
-M101 Trailer
-Rear Bumper
-S/C
-Head Unit
-Speaker upgrades

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hood scoop won't happen. I just photoshopped Air2airs picture with red real quick to get an idea. I have blacked out everything where he has silver as well. so it will still be much different than the picture.

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
The Current Steed. 2012 Trail Teams(1/13/2013)
That is such a sweet picture!! Looking forward to your build. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well havent really done much but buy up everything Mpac I can think of. It helps in my travels so whatever.

More or less I havent had time to scratch my butt with the FJ besides just driving it everywhere I go for work so mods have been minimal. Have some Demello Hybrids on the way and freedom windows plus window tint should happen with in the next few weeks so thats at least moving forward in some slow way for me.

My efforts have still been to pay off the FJ before really modding it so that still has hendered me. That and my second money pit needs to get out of the garage so thats the other issue.

2002 BMW 325CI
Gutted, caged, ****pit instrument cluster and an LS6. complete with rear end and tranny. Already has a GT spec widebody kit on it.

So I need to get that finished so I at least have 2 cars that I can use rather than just one. BMW came first so it gets the the right away.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I would be interested in how the freedom windows work out for you...I don't think that I have seen many reviews on them.

Doc

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Build thread for said BMW? :rocker:

The pictures may work there way in here lol

Ill let you guys know how I like the Freedom Windows. Im having them installed by a glass company for $70 and I'm going to have them use some better weather stripping to hopefully dodge the water leaking issue a few people are having.

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So apparently Im still buying stuff for the FJ. BMW is on hot stand by till winter time lol.

Just bought a 40" LED light bar
Recovery kit
snatch strap

still waiting to pull the trigger on the baja roofrack with spy light system.

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, haven't posted in awhile so I figured I would give an update.

Few weeks ago I finally got tint installed and the Freedom windows.
My opinion on the freedom windows.

Pros: Easy installation after OEM windows come out. They look more rugged and BA than the OEM's and thats about it.

Cons: They do not really provide any extra airflow through the truck, even if you're sitting back there(if they are folded out not removed). I only removed them once and only once because of my next point.
-They scratch the **** out of your trim when you go to put them back on after you take them off. Ill post pictures later this week.
-They do not contour to the truck and for the most part have air leaks. can't wait to see if that makes a difference in winter.
-The plexiglass used has a nice fogging hue to it and it looks like crap inside the truck.
Im sure I have more complaints but thats all I can think of. Its not worth the money IMO.

Now…I wish I could start off with something else a little more positive but it continues lol.

So I got my BajaRack with SPY light system a couple weeks ago as well…
Thanks to UPS, it was sent back due to some idiot using a forklift and damaging the rack. Luckily, Bajarack has pretty good customer service and they are shipping me a new one later this week.

Still waiting on my Demello Hybrid sliders that I bought almost 2 months ago

I got my tow hitch installed and am testing that out tomorrow. Ill take pictures of everything else while I'm at it since i haven't really posted anything lol.(horrible build thread I know)

Got my Spod in the mail today and got that all wired up and ready to go for the start of accessory buying :clap:
I must say, Hats off to the people of Spod, easy instructions and step by step idiot proof instructions

I think thats all for now. Ill get some pictures up and hopefully the FJ will start taking shape and stop looking stock soon enough.

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I did forget something.

Started installing FJnewbs SCUBA mod, got the elocker and rear diff hooked up and the breaker installed along with the rest of the line zip tied underneath.

Im having trouble finding the lines under the hood and the tranny/transfer case line I'm supposed to find. I found info off diagrams thats show what I'm looking for but as far as finding it in person under the truck is a different story. So Im also dealing with that. Brian may be a good idea to create some kind of instruction manual for us idiots that need it lol

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOTS OF PHOTOS!!! Nothing to fancy though.

First up, Freedom windows.

Drivers side, not to bad

Passenger side, F'd up. need to find some black touch up paint.

Picture of what plastic looks like looking out of. The haziness is poorly represented in this picture.

Thats it for that.

Heres a simple picture with the seat covers and console.

Mpac stuff, same as everyone else.

·
Premium Member
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Spod

Decided to just go the usual route they recommended and built the harness for.

Im planning on putting the last 2 switches here along with the toggle switch the bajaRack comes with. they should fit perfectly and the wiring fits perfectly already for it so why not.

40in LED bar waiting for the rack to show up

Fjnewbs SCUBA MOD, kinda lol

My tow hitch, just got it wired up..Never got the chance to tow with it or hook it up to a working trailer so I don't know if the wiring is working but whatever.

How it sits now, just waiting for more parts to come in.

·
Registered
344 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts