Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

sluggish cold cranking in morning

5K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Codger 
#1 ·
Ok, this seems to be more of a problem with my 08Fj now that the temps outside is getting colder. When I go to get her started in the mornings it is very sluggish like the battery is low, it takes several attempts to get it to turn over and it is slow. Now once it gets started and I drive it around the rest of the day its ok, its just the first start up on cool mornings. The battery has a date sticker of 7/14 on it from AutoZone. So I took the FJ there and the guy tested the battery and said it was good. Of course this is after I drove it there so it had a chance to charge up. Piece of history on the vehicle, I am the second owner, when I bought it I added a steel bumper and winch, I had the shop add a solenoid to the winch so there is no power draw on the battery unless the key is on. One thing I notice when I have to use a jump box to get it cranked when the battery seems to low to power the starter is the starter cranks up fine.

So my question, do I still look at this as if it were a battery issue? Ive had the the battery on a charger several times already and each time it seems to be losing power however the guy at AutoZone says the battery tester says its fine???

#3 ·
Hey Joe,

Slow cranking on cold mornings is very indicative of a battery going south. Another is when using the booster box it cranks fine. I'm wondering how the AutoZone tech checked your battery. Did he remove it from the FJC, do a quick charge, then load test? BTW what you are describing does not sound like a starter issue or it would not crank better with the booster connected.

You can also do a load test yourself if you have a load tester or access to one. Its basically a resistive load that attaches to a battery using short cables/clamps and meters the voltage drop while under a load. The meter indicates if a battery needs replacement.

Another easy check to if verify that terminal connections at the battery are clean and free of corrosion. If in doubt, remove the terminals and brush clean before reinstalling. Also since you added a winch recently, its worth examining the terminals for correct connection and tight fit.

Good luck.

#4 ·
What kind of temperatures are you talking about? I have a fairly new Odyssey battery and when it's like -5F in the morning it's slow to start. It always starts on the first try but, it's much slower than when it's like 20-30F. Could you just be seeing normal very cold weather starting behavior?

#5 ·
You may have killed it with the winch. That's how I killed my battery. I drew too deep too many times.

You don't state what type of battery it is and how large it is. A normal lead acid battery can't handle being drawn down really low and charged back up many times. That's where the deep cycle batteries shine.

:cheers:

#7 ·
Joe,

Do you have a volt meter? Put the volt meter on the battery so you can see it while it's reading voltage. Next turn on your headlights for 30 seconds. You will see the surface charge go away and the voltage will read 11. something. After 30 seconds turn off the lights. At this second your voltmeter will show you your battery's base voltage. It should be above 12.4 volts. If you see anything less your battery is either not fully charger or it has an internal problem and should be replaced. If you see it's low take it back to autozone and get it replaced.

Reactions: RomaBoy
#8 ·
Ok jeer is an update... went to auto parts store clerk came out with hand held battery tester, my battery showed it had a low charge, clerk suggested I can go home and out battery on slow charge overnight and come back in the morning, readout on the tester said I had a battery with 880cold crank amps and my battery only had 275 cold crank amps in it after I showed up to the auto parts store after driving it for a while as well.

Well I've never used my winch since I got it but as staged before I had the 4x4 shop put a solenoid between the winch and battery to keep any power draw when the key is t on, so now I'm feeling like it is the battery , it was a very hot summer so maybe this did the battery in but I dont know.

#10 ·
Well I've never used my winch since I got it but as staged before I had the 4x4 shop put a solenoid between the winch and battery to keep any power draw when the key is t on, so now I'm feeling like it is the battery , it was a very hot summer so maybe this did the battery in but I dont know.
Definitely sounds like you need to get the battery replaced.

Just FYI... your winch will draw more amps than your alternator will put out so with a prolonged draw you WILL drain your battery.... whether the vehicle is running or not. It's obviously just better to have the vehicle running to prolong that process :D That solenoid is a great idea.

:cheers:

#9 ·
Check your cables. Look for the white powdery crud that denotes corrosion. If you find it at either end of the cable then replace the cable. Personally I change mine every 7 years. Along with all hoses.

To the battery. Let it sit over night in you rig all connected. Next morning pull it out and take another car to Auto/Shuck/Pep/zone and test the battery. If it checks out good go to another store or shop and check it again. If it is still good then start looking for whatever is draining your battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.