Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ouch, this hurt. I was up in Incline Village looking to park in a big parking garage. My FJ with Daystar 3" lift and OEM roof rack entered just fine, but apparently there was a low overhang on the ceiling somewhere. I'm creeping along and all of a sudden - CRASH -. Not a good sound. Jumped out to see that the two rear welds had snapped where they attach to the brackets. Couldn't see any other damage to the roof though.

Someone on here said - every accident is an opportunity for an upgrade! So I'm shopping for an aftermarket. :)

On another note... any chance someone would be interested in the old rack? I suppose the two rear welds could be fixed, or someone could find use for the factory crossbars. Pics available if anyone's interested! :boohoo:

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Just so happens there is a gobi rack sale going on right now ;) >link<

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Any roof damage? I wonder if the mounting area got damaged.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I did the exact same thing to my stock rack. My roof was not hurt, and I was able to repair mine, use it for a while, and then sell it when I bought my Gobi Ranger. You might look at the brackets; my front ones that broke were not welded, there was a swage bracket inside the aluminum tubing that a bolt from underneath the bracket screwed into. It was relatively easy to straighten and fix the swage bracket and bolt it back together.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any roof damage? I wonder if the mounting area got damaged.
No damage... took the thing off when I got home and it looks ok, other than a small dent. I'm still not sure where the impact was - can't see any mark on the rack itself. But the metal tubing in the rear 2 brackets is definitely broken. I guess I should be happy the rack just snapped and didn't bend or warp any part of the roof!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
That's good to hear. Fixing the roof sounds expensive. Maybe it was good that the stock rack busted so easily :).

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I busted my rack doing the same thing as well, only place mine broke was the plastic "sideways H" that connects the two halves in the rear, and it didn't break completely. I was able to get one off a member here. Funny thing I still need to install it. I've just been lazy...

·
Registered
672 Posts
mine is like that, but from the previous owner im guessing did the same, its not bad but its a bit crushed in, like the top is flattened out a little

·
Registered
193 Posts
See, thats the only thing that makes me PARANOID about lifting my FJ> I have it pretty loaded right now MINUS a lift:( I dont go into parking decks that much, but sometimes its the ONLY parking option, especially in a city. I made an axe/shovel mount, and the closest I came was scraping the white pvc piping they have going into the garage. Left a nice white streak on the side of the shovel! :rofl:

How do you guys deal with this issue, if at all???? I want an extra 3" clearance but I feel like I can barely park in garages as it is.

Any suggestions would be great! :confused:

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
How do you guys deal with this issue, if at all????
To me it comes under the "pay to play" rule. I haven't been able to park either of my 4WD Toyotas in a parking garage for a long time. If I drive them to town, I'm resigned to parking outside. YMMV.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Thats lucky it was only a busted roof rack.

I you end up selling the cross bars, I may be interested in getting two of them.

·
Registered
143 Posts
On another note... any chance someone would be interested in the old rack? I suppose the two rear welds could be fixed, or someone could find use for the factory crossbars.
First, sorry about your mishap. Things like this hurt when they happen, but they provide an excellent excuse for an upgrade.

PM sent on possible cross bar purchase.

·
Registered
193 Posts
To me it comes under the "pay to play" rule. I haven't been able to park either of my 4WD Toyotas in a parking garage for a long time. If I drive them to town, I'm resigned to parking outside. YMMV.
Thats a great point... puts in perspective. Thanks!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Time to get roof-mounted skid plates!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Dude. That sucks! Get in on the Gobi GB!! Perfect timing.

I see your in Lodi. I'm in Oakdale. You know of anywhere to go off roading around here? Let me know!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Time to get roof-mounted skid plates!
Haha, love that idea Starzzz!

@Jason - The only options I know of for wheeling are to head East! We're pretty close to Yellowstone, and lots of trails all around the area. If you dont have it, I highly recommend picking up this guide: Amazon.com: Backcountry Adventures Northern California: The Ultimate Guide to the Backcountry for Anyone with a Sport Utility Vehicle (9781930193253): Peter Massey, Jeanne Wilson: Books

Lots of very helpful maps & trail descriptions... and maybe I'll see you out there... i'll be the FJ with the shiny new roof rack :clap:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts