Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow I am the first one awake? That's not right :)

We had a great time at Coal Creek yesterday. 6 members of the SMC club made it out and one new friend from FL, Howard. Howard is visiting his parents in TN and brought his sister out with him on the trail. This was the first time he has ever wheeled in anything other than sand and he seemed to have had a great time.

The guys from the Trail Team came out and we spent the day on the trail with them. Flying Brick's( Jason) wife Gerri got to drive the lead Trail Teams rig for a while, I think they have created a 4 wheeling monster :) She did great, never balking at an obstacle and handling herself well. Howard's sister Debbie also took advantage of the opportunity to get behind the wheel of another of the Trail Team’s FJs and spend much of the day learning the ins and outs of wheeling. TO me this is one of the best things the Trail Teams do, they put a person that has never driven an off road vehicle in the driver’s seat and let them experience first hand what Wheeling is all about. Guys I cant thank you enough for what you do out there on the trails.

The Trail Team also had a Supercharged Tacoma with them. Our buddy Matt who recently sold his FJ got a turn at the wheel and seemed to enjoy it. Then my Fiancé (Ms.NCFJ) took a turn at the wheel, her first time driving off road. She loved it. Seems that sedan we were contemplating may end up being a 4 door 4X4 Taco. I might just want to borrow it from time to time.

Coal Creek is a beautiful place with soooo many trails. I have been there before on ATVs but this was the first in a full sized rig. We had a great time. Near the end of the day a few of us split off from the group and took a trail marked “extremely dangerous”. It was a rugged trail but not as hard as the sign made it out to be. Maybe a moderate using Tellico ratings. The three of us went down it and it was rough for a mile then turned into a fire road. So we turned it around and went back up it, even more fun.

At the end of the day the guys from the Trail Team BBQed for us. Thanks much guys, nothing better at the end of a run than sitting around with your trail buddies having some burgers and dogs and discussing the days events. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy wheeling with the SMC group. This bunch of people knows how to have fun. Again, thanks to the guys fro the Trail Team for coming out and wheeling with us. You guys are always welcome! Till next time guys J

Photos to follow

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
We had an awesome time! Big thanks to the trail team for hosting this event. As NCFJ (Stan) said above my wife Jeri got to do alot of driving in the lead rig. She is all fired up now. She is actually talking about the ride and FJ's as much as me today. MsNCFJ(Heather) made the best brownies of all time. I have quite a bit of video footage. I it will take some time to get it uploaded. Also got a few pics. Coming soon...........

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
We are now home, we ended up staying in Harriman for the night. :cheers:
Scott is on the way home now.

We had a great time too. It always nice to wheel with friends and yesterday we got to make a new friend Howard. :bigthumb:

Downloading pics now, I will have some up later. :)

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
This event was to be a NC TTORA event, but on Thursday I received an email from the NC TTORA event organizer asking me to contact the East Coast Trail Team mgr Dennis. What I found out later was that they were passing the event to us :)

The Trail Team arrived on Friday to set up and found out that nobody from TTORA was there, as the day went on still nobody showed up. Ahmed posted up to that original Trail Thread advising the afternoon status.

On Saturday morning 13 SMC members & families in 8 FJ's & 1 4Runner arrived at Coal Creek OHV in Windrock for what would turn out to be a Smokey Mountain Cruisers ride with the Trail Team. We all gathered at the Trail Team's campsite for the normal photos, meet & greet and trail rules.

Ok, who's going to let me ride?

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Well my wheel time was limit this day, Stacey told me to get out she was driving.

And MsNCFJ did a little driving too, so Heather when are going to be picking your new Taco?

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Back at camp, a couple fine & upstanding forum members do a little trailer tagging. :)

After our Trail Team dinner, Kevin offered to put in one of his favorite movies for us. :)

Brokeback Mountain :jester:

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
There is supposed to be another minute and a half to the video above but I think photobucket is cutting it off at 5 minutes. I will see if I can get the last piece up somehow.

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
Sorry Terry but the FJ looks 100X better with Stacey behind the wheel. ;)
Thanks Dave! :)

I had a blast yesterday and it was one of the best rides we have had with the East Coast Trail Team.

I love being behind the wheel and after yesterday I think Terry realized that sharing was not going to work for him. I think I see my own FJ in the near future. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
There is supposed to be another minute and a half to the video above but I think photobucket is cutting it off at 5 minutes. I will see if I can get the last piece up somehow.
Great video Jason and Jeri. :)

That video shows just how far over I was in the mud. I enjoyed every minute of it and can't wait to do it again.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Great video Jason and Jeri. :)

That video shows just how far over I was in the mud. I enjoyed every minute of it and can't wait to do it again.
Jeri said if she comes to Harlan, when she is driving, I can't bring any Chex mix. :lol:

1 - 20 of 137 Posts