Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have the Badlands 12k winch on a smittybuilt m1 bumper. My buddy just sold his FJ and never I stalled him M1 and I can snag it pretty cheap. Also heard it needs a control box relocation kit is that normally with the smittybuilt bumper.or separate?

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
Funny you start this thread... I have these exact two components sitting in my garage waiting for me to install them. Now if I could just get a day off of work to do some wrenching. I’ll be sure to post a thread here when I do.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Figured I would post an update... I’ve been working a few hours at a time at night as time permits, and the bumper and winch are 90% installed. I still have to connect and run the wiring into the cabin for the bumper lights, trim some of the plastic on the wheel well, and install the hook on the winch line.

The installation wasn’t too bad, but it’s not exactly “bolt-on.” It’s more like, “how comfortable are you using a sawz-all and an angle grinder?

If you’re going to attempt to install this combo yourself, you better have tools, and lots of them. The Smittybilt bumper requires cutting some of the front end supports to mount, and the Badland 12K winch solenoid box won’t fit unless you relocate the box, or cut & grind a cutout, which is what I chose to do.

I decided to swap in synthetic line while I was installing the winch, and it makes a big difference in weight for sure - probably 40 pounds lighter between the rope and hawse fairlead versus the steel cable and roller fairlead that comes on the winch.

Anyway, pics of the progress so far:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts