Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
@dustunite Funny how they often don't include the hardware, huh? Well it looks good on your rig too... have you had any problems? I am still real happy with mine.
I havent had any problems with it, some of the install sucked, I had neighbors coming out to see who I was yelling at. I also had some issues getting it to look right like having to use the the 1/4 and 1/8 spacers to get it to fit properly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I havent had any problems with it, some of the install sucked, I had neighbors coming out to see who I was yelling at. I also had some issues getting it to look right like having to use the the 1/4 and 1/8 spacers to get it to fit properly.
The bumper is sweet but the instructions suck and I got no Bolts or nuts in the shipment! I made 3 trips to the hardware store b4 i got It mounted up. To be honest for the $ it was worth it...... But how the hell do these guys stay in Buisness cutting corners like this? Oh and on top of it all I called and asked them if my 12k lb Viper Elite winch would fit and they said yes! Nope it was 2 inches too tall and now I'm selling my never used winch and buying a new one.. I'm pissed! I'll take. $200 or so bath on that winch and $13 of hardware plus time.. They owe me! But like I said the bumper is kick ass and built well but the company's shipping team that sends them out and the guys that make up the
instructions suuuuck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm calling them Monday with my gripe. I'll let you guys know how it goes! I bought this bumper for $799 on amazon.. Trust me it's worth the $. I do miss my brush guard though..

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Did you install this on a stock FJ suspension? I want to install the bumper but wondering if I would be ok with STOCK suspension? Also, did it make the car LONGER? It looks long....and if so, by how much would you say? Thanks, looks great!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I ended up with the M1 bumper due to a "jackhole" that cut a blind corner while I was "STOPPED" at a stop sign & took off most of my front end. Long story short, it was cheaper to get the aftermarket bumper than replace the factory one. I like how the M1 looks beside the large hole cutout for a winch. Have not had the $$ to spend on a winch until now, Harbor Freight is having a "Parking Lot" sale the 8th/10th & the 12000 lb. winch is marked down to $299 plus I'm going to try & use their 20%off Super Coupon as well. That will bring it down to $249. I know many will bash the winch & place I'm getting it from but it is what it is, it's the best I can swing right now. Anyway, I came across this thread while looking into what it's going to take to install it in the M!. I'm assuming I'll be needing to remove the bumper to get it in there & hook it up, & glad I did find this thread as I did not know about the bracket's I'll need to have made up for support. I did get the instructions with it & there not all that great, not sure if all the hardware was with it as I did not have to do the install of the bumper. I have a box with the winch plate/plates & a bag of hardware so I guess/hope it's all there before I get started. I just wish it could be dropped in while the bumper was still on the FJ. If anyone has any ideas that will help me out, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you install this on a stock FJ suspension? I want to install the bumper but wondering if I would be ok with STOCK suspension? Also, did it make the car LONGER? It looks long....and if so, by how much would you say? Thanks, looks great!
I would recommend upgrading, mine has probably dropped about an inch since i installed, as for length i think about 2" mainly because of the shackle mounts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Here are the photos as requested
I just ordered this bumper from anythingauto.com. Do all the bumpers come with this plate or do I have to order it separately?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I just ordered this bumper from anythingauto.com. Do all the bumpers come with this plate or do I have to order it separately?
If your talking about the washer bottle plate, yes it comes with the bumper. As far as the unfinished look the bumper has with or without a winch, super large hole, I used a 1/8" thick black diamond plate cut to cover the hole until I got a winch. Now that I've installed the winch I still don't like the "unfinished" look of it. I just notched that diamond plate to fit the control box & put it back on, so now all you can really see is the top part of the control box & the flair head with the cable & hook. I'd prefer to use the same material the bumper is made out of, but it still looks much better. If I can remember how to post pictures, I'll throw a few up. But for now...Heading out to hit a few trails & see if I can find an excuse to use the winch. (there are plenty of Jeeps on the local trails:rofl:)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Have any of you guy's that have been shorted the hardware called Smittybuilt for replacement hardware? As stated, I did not mount my M1, it was part of a crash fix, but if I was shorted the hardware I'd be on the phone, what the Hell, you paid for it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
If your talking about the washer bottle plate, yes it comes with the bumper. As far as the unfinished look the bumper has with or without a winch, super large hole, I used a 1/8" thick black diamond plate cut to cover the hole until I got a winch. Now that I've installed the winch I still don't like the "unfinished" look of it. I just notched that diamond plate to fit the control box & put it back on, so now all you can really see is the top part of the control box & the flair head with the cable & hook. I'd prefer to use the same material the bumper is made out of, but it still looks much better. If I can remember how to post pictures, I'll throw a few up. But for now...Heading out to hit a few trails & see if I can find an excuse to use the winch. (there are plenty of Jeeps on the local trails:rofl:)
Great! Thanks. I was initially referring to the washer bottle plate but was also going to ask about the hole. I don't plan on a winch just yet. I was thinking of the diamond plate like you, but was also thinking of using black wire mesh. Like those after market grill are made of. To give it a different look and assist in cooling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks everyone for this thread. Answered my question about modifying the headlight bracket. I'm more concerned now with the custom reinforcement plate everyone is talking about. Seems like a poor construction on Smittybilts part. Is there another manufacturer besides ARB that makes a plate, that would fit with the installation of the M1? Has anyone made a plate, that you would be willing to share specs/fitment on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have any of you guy's that have been shorted the hardware called Smittybuilt for replacement hardware? As stated, I did not mount my M1, it was part of a crash fix, but if I was shorted the hardware I'd be on the phone, what the Hell, you paid for it.
oh yeah i called and *****ed about it and they sent the parts but when i was installing it was go to the store and finish or wait a week, I'm over it now but its BS!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I also didn't have all of the hardware for the installation. Had spare grade 8 bolts around, so I was able to finish the install.
Fabricated the reinforcement plates today from 1/4" plate steel. Will install this week once I figure out the bolt sizes for the preexisting holes.
If anyone's interested in a template, I'll post the one I created.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I installed my Smittybilt bumper finally! and added a few custom pieces as well :)

Thanks to this thread, I knew exactly what I was getting myself into as far as weight, size, price, and lack of hardware. At first I was unsure because of the "unfinished" look, but I scored a great deal on the bumper I just had to jump on it (low $600's w/free shipping, PM if interested).

Installed the thing last night, my back is sore but its totally worth it. I think I did my share of dead lifts for the year.

Here she is:

Close up's of the bumper. I made a winch cover out of sheet metal and bedliner sprayed it. Mounted my 23" LED bar with Jeep LED hood mounts :grin I'll be plastidipping the screws black

I also added LED pods in the fog light holes

Took her to the mountains

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here are the pictures:
Bumper

Winch mounted (control box moved later)

Final bumper mounted

Bracket Pattern created.

1/4" steel brackets cut - post grinding and minor alterations for fitment of brackets

painted brackets.

installed brackets.

NOW I feel like I can go use this bad boy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
There was one bolt on the brackets that did not have a factory thread/nut on the frame. That one, we decided to spot weld a nut to the inside of the frame. The cussing ensued... manipulating fingers to thread a nut onto a bolt was annoying as hell, let alone getting the welding to take hold from the WRONG angle... but it ended up being installed beautifully! And I feel much more confident about actually using this winch now! Will be testing it out next Friday! One of my wheeling groups is planning a Black Friday snow busting run, I expect it will be great fun!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I am very pleased to see this thread continues to get attention! Thanks all! Still loving my choice of bumper....gotta get around to the extra reinforcements as fjdragonchk showed us and those pix will help alot!

41 - 60 of 79 Posts