Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winch bar package as shipped didn't fit in the FJC, but we broke down the box at the loading dock. I found an old roll of carpet and some coolers because I'm working alone and needed something.

I'm using some cheap studio photography lighting with diffusers...this install location is in my garage, which is below the bathroom that I rebuilt after some tiles "gave out"...crossing fingers...text to wife not to flush for a while all is good.

Note on plastic hardware (fasteners), might be a good idea to get extras from your Toyota Dealer, because they can snap—it's a real crap shoot. Also, if you have a way to cut metal, some items need to be trimmed. If you skip this step, your headlights will jiggle any time you hit a bump...notice the bottom anchor point of the headlamps...this is a necessary step. Get the right tools.

Lining up the tray, I used a cooler and slid it forward until I could mount. Easy on the back, comparatively. Can be done solo. Still not idea. Get a buddy.

The winch need to be bolted to the tray before putting the bumper on...it's a challenge solo , and caution should be taken with the control box while mounting the bumper...use a shop towel on top the box to avoid scratching the heck out of everything.

The wiring was completed with the help of a simple diagram. Leads ingress under the driver's headlight. The FJC was designed to accept lots of extra wiring.

This is the passenger air bag sensor. Adding a bumper doesn't affect the air bag deployment. This is recessed into the body of the FJC.

This is the one area that requires a great deal of patience on the M1. Nuts are on a free-floating bar with a handle, and it's almost impossible to complete solo. I resorted to using Gorilla Glue to make the bolt and nut marry for a freehand tightening...it's because it's very tight under the bumper, and one person can't get two hands on the task. I talked with Smittybilt and they confirmed that the M1 is not designed to be installed by one guy in a garage with limited tools. While I saved some money, I don't think this is for everyone. I wish I had a partner on this by the time I got to the end of it.

Overall the instructions were lacking and the photos didn't match the equipment. The design of the hardware is painful, but in fairness is not intended for DYI at all, so if you choose that as I did you may want to buy ear plugs for the wife and kids. For this bumper/winch combination it wasn't clear how to mount the control box. It takes some doing. I ended up tossing the plastic end pieces on the front. They really aren't needed but it still pains me that it took as long as the bumper install to install the control box. The customer support is great at Smittybilt. The end products are solid.

I'll post a few more photos of the finished bumper/fairlead.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine on both bumper and winch were missing the proper model directions. My bumper is manufactured incorrectly (angles and welds are off) and the coating coming off. The company itself said they did not include the proper mounting hardware for the winch control box for the 2nd or 3rd generation options. Also parts were missing from both. It is a bit of a disaster for me so far and they have not been very helpful. Rude actually. I thought they were going to take care of it but I was wrong. Still arguing with them. The light wires for the rear were too short also. Did yours have any issues? The weld on the secondary outer bumper where it bolts onto the winch cradle was welded out of the proper angle and depth as was the part on the winch cradle causing significant issues.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine on both bumper and winch were missing the proper model directions. My bumper is manufactured incorrectly (angles and welds are off) and the coating coming off. The company itself said they did not include the proper mounting hardware for the winch control box for the 2nd or 3rd generation options. Also parts were missing from both. It is a bit of a disaster for me so far and they have not been very helpful. Rude actually. I thought they were going to take care of it but I was wrong. Still arguing with them. The light wires for the rear were too short also. Did yours have any issues? The weld on the secondary outer bumper where it bolts onto the winch cradle was welded out of the proper angle and depth as was the part on the winch cradle causing significant issues.
So far so good. It hasn't been easy. They were helpful when I called for some advice on how to get it even and centered up. I've seen that they can be a pain in the ass. Maybe you need to return the item or write a letter to the president.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts