Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so, I put a Smittybilt XRC8 and a Warrior front bumper on about a year ago and opted to put the solenoid under the hood to get it off the front of the truck. Seemed to work well when installed but haven't used the winch until recently on a run about a month ago. Then decided to put a switch in the interior so I wouldn't have to mess with the remote. After getting it hooked up,in testing I got nothing until I plugged up the remote and still nothing until I toggled it back and forth a few times and then it stuck on!! After tapping the solenoid it shut off but now will only feed in and will not feed out from either switch.
Now my question is, is it a wiring goof (which I doubt after testing the circuit) or has my solenoid gone bad? Solenoid has not seen any type of water except for washing the engine compartment a couple of times but hasn't been run much either. Can they be rebuilt? Can't see to find much info on it. Any help would be appreciated. GO!

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Solenoids are the Achilles Heel of winches. Ive read those go bad even in the infamous Warn brand. All I can say is be very careful with that and install a remote electrical shut off. If your solenoid gets stuck open when pulling in, it will continue to do so and eventually catch on fire and burn the rig to the ground. Its happened before.

I installed this to mine to help. Simple on/ off switch to alleviate this issue should it happen.

Solenoids can be replaced. Just contact the manufacturer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Solenoids are the Achilles Heel of winches. Ive read those go bad even in the infamous Warn brand. All I can say is be very careful with that and install a remote electrical shut off. If your solenoid gets stuck open when pulling in, it will continue to do so and eventually catch on fire and burn the rig to the ground. Its happened before.

I installed this to mine to help. Simple on/ off switch to alleviate this issue should it happen.

Solenoids can be replaced. Just contact the manufacturer.
Good advise. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts