Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of Y'all use a smittybuilt? I bought a xrc10 a few months ago and had 3 solenoids go out, so they sent me a new winch. Used it twice and snaped the rod that goes through the center of the spool. Am I the only one having these problems?

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I have one. The first one out the box didn’t work but I think i shorted the thing installing it so that may not be their fault. The one that i have now works really well. I know that Aw Jeez has one to...

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts
Casting no aspersions, but... personally I believe that winches are one of those things where you get what you pay for. Yes, it is possible to cut costs and reduce the price, if price is your foremost concern. But in regard to things that directly impact my personal safety, price is not my foremost concern - I'd rather save money somewhere else. YMMV.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what your saying, but that is the product that the local 4x4 shop pushes. By talking to the company, I am the only person in the world that is having problems with it. Guess I will bite the bullet and cut my losses and buy a warn.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I've had my XRC10 for 3 years and many winching opportunities - no problems.

Sometimes it takes a little wiggling to get it to engage or free spool but I've seen that on many winches.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
I know what your saying, but that is the product that the local 4x4 shop pushes. By talking to the company, I am the only person in the world that is having problems with it. Guess I will bite the bullet and cut my losses and buy a warn.
Warn is nice, but If I could afford do it again I would get a titan. Built much better than the warn. I think there used to be a compairison thread here.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the main problem is with the solenoids. Ive ran the same winch on my big truck, and if I can keep it out of deep water it is fine. But I dont know what to expect if it stays submerged for minutes at a time in river water.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Ive had mine for a couple of years, several times used and no problems other than the one that I caused.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
(not to mention the collection of blue FJ Cruisers it helped recover at the last Wheelers For The Wounded event :lol:)
What are you trying to say about Blue FJC's, huh? :rofl: Thanks for the recovery Lee.

Sorry for hijack. To the OP: You get what you pay for.

I have a Titan and have yet to make any major pulls with it, but I like it a lot, and I love the support I get from the company. It's a better value than the warn, with a really cool background. Talk to Duncan sometime, he'll explain to you how the Titans get tested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts