Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to this forum, so bear w/ me if this question has been asked already. I have a 07 FJ w/ a 6 speed manual w/ 60,060 miles on it, and I have had no problems period. Except starting two days ago. I had got the lawn tractor in a bad situation and had to be pulled up a gradual hill. I get ready to pull it up a grass slope and as I am releasing the E brake, and applying gas, putting pressure on the tow strap, I notice a rather thick gray/black smoke coming from under, and a horrible smell. Tractor got dislodged enough by then, so I parked the FJ, then rode it around town later w/ no problems.
The next day, I am in a parking lot of an amusement park, parked on a grade. Parking is tight, so getting out, I have to do basically a 8 point turn to avoid hitting cars. I As I backed up the somewhat steep park a few feet, the smell started again, too dark to see if any smoke. During the 45 mile ride home, I really noticed nothing different while driving, all felt the same as the last 60,000 miles have.....Any ideas....Is it a clutch?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Not familiar with the 6/spd but I'm thinking it has a hydraulic clutch. It the fluid level up on that? It'll look kinda like the brake fluid reservoir. Maybe the cap is off and being off level is spills down the face of the firewall? Maybe a line is loose or chaffed. Fitting at the clutch?

I'm know someone will chime in with better info but squirrel around in/under there and look for fluid leaks/wetness, etc.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You should be fine. The FJ doesn't have a low enough reverse gear. I've had the smell from my clutch many times while in reverse. I have an 07 also and have 118k on it. It is a nasty smell when it happens. Just don't do it on a continual basis and you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
It was your clutch as stated above. If your going to pull something out in reverse always put it in 4 low to lower your gearing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, but let me add a few more details. The first time it happened. Correct, I was not in low range. And the first time it happened I was in first pulling, not reverse. The second time was reverse. The only constant thing was that the e brake was applied both times. It just seems really strange that after years of no problems, it happened in back to back days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...and secondly, where exactly in this hydraulic reservour located? I have found every other one under the hood, but this one seems lost. Owners manual and a quick search online seems useless w/ location.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
...and secondly, where exactly in this hydraulic reservour located? I have found every other one under the hood, but this one seems lost. Owners manual and a quick search online seems useless w/ location.
It's the little round one right next to your brake fluid reservoir. It is connected to a bracket that is mounted on the inner fender. Can't miss it.......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, found reservoir, full. The problem was noted to a small degree last evening as I pulled up a somewhat steep road by my house. I've pulled up this road 1000's of times, and never had a problem. No smoke this time, but when I parked, I stuck my head under the truck and definitely noticed a small odor from the other night? Is the clutch failing? If so, seems odd as people here have seemed to get over 100k easily from the oem unit.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
Ok, found reservoir, full. The problem was noted to a small degree last evening as I pulled up a somewhat steep road by my house. I've pulled up this road 1000's of times, and never had a problem. No smoke this time, but when I parked, I stuck my head under the truck and definitely noticed a small odor from the other night? Is the clutch failing? If so, seems odd as people here have seemed to get over 100k easily from the oem unit.
The odor may hang around several days but rarely indicates a huge problem. My driveway is long & fairly steep and if I ever have to back up it, even without an additional load I always drop it into Low Range. Once about 25K miles ago I had a similar experience backing up the drive in High Range with my boat attached and the clutch started smelling like it was overheated. The smell lingered 4-5 days as I recall after I drove the FJ. Since that time I've had zero problems and no re-occurence of the smell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts