Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have put a snorkel on your FJC and been driving it for awhile, what are your opinions? What do you like and what do you dislike about it? If you had to do it over again would you still add? Seen noticable improvement in engine power? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Your foot may be more sensitive than mine, but I didn't notice anything as far as power goes. I did feel more secure in avoiding water in the intake as I've been there before and I did catch myself smiling when I saw it.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
It's kind of like a tattoo. Once you get it, it is with you for the life of the vehicle. :)

So, make sure you like it. BTW, both of my Toyotas have snorkels ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your foot may be more sensitive than mine, but I didn't notice anything as far as power goes. I did feel more secure in avoiding water in the intake as I've been there before and I did catch myself smiling when I saw it.

NICE FJ!!!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
Advantages, as mentioned. Water clearance, Also cooler cleaner air intake. Means slightly more efficient(although you will never notice) and way less air filter cleaning.

Disadvantages? It removed some money from my wallet right before it arrived on my porch.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Kinda like the .40 Glock in my FJ. Happy I have it when or if I need it.

Zero increase in power or mpg.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Advantages, as mentioned. Water clearance, Also cooler cleaner air intake. Means slightly more efficient(although you will never notice) and way less air filter cleaning.

Disadvantages? It removed some money from my wallet right before it arrived on my porch.

:rofl:

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Air filter stays much cleaner now...first thing I noticed as I clean the K&N every 5K.

Peace of mind crossing thru deep water of unknown depth...This one particular place I go thru the big trucks were there before me and dug some seriously deep holes with their 44's...some places I crossed the hood was under water...

It Looks cool...you get some possitive intake pressure cold air intake...

As far as any noticable fuel savings..Nah...but you don't lose any either...

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,809 Posts
yup! a snorkel is on my wish list!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Advantage: No longer have to worry about FOrding water| Airfilter stays cleaner do to intake moved up away from road, dust, debrie...|It looks cool and get lots of Attention!
Reason I got it, FJ gets offroaded alot, ....I live 1.5 miles out a dirt road... air filter has to get replaced every oil change! I checked the FIlter after mudding one weekend- actually had water evidence on the air filter(Never hit water deeper than the front axle), Checked air filter after trail run, had leaves and exxessive dust/ dirt in the Air filter Now its been 3500 mile since install.. K&N still looks brand new!
Disadvantage is you cut holes in your fender....Who cares!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
No its not a cure all.. It is for hitting unexpected or even known deep water for a Brief time ( Mud/water holes)... Not for trying to transverse rivers or streams..... If you swamp any new vehicle and water gets into the cabin 3 to 5 inches or more you will risk toasting your computer as I have assisted a fellow FJ'er diagnose after swapping his.....There is a video of a jeep floating around in here. He hit a water hole and Hydralocked his engine... If he had a snokle it would not have happend!

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Snorkle...350$
New fender...189$
Paint...400$
cost of new engine if you hydralock it..9 to 15000$ pending on damage...
I like my choice

·
Registered
149 Posts
you might get annoyed by all of the questions about why you have a para-scope on your vehicle... i know some people have had fun with the questions they have gotten :rofl:

1 - 20 of 96 Posts