Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

does anyone have experience with “alternative” brand snorkels, lile the one on this app: https://joom.app.link/oSk0ZtKLY3
I know that brands like ARB would be the preferred ones, since they are thicker and “better built”, however, where I live I don’t think I could ever hit such a thick branch that A thicker material would make a difference.
Where I live, the main difference would come to weather or not it can withstand the effects of the sun and the UV rays, and keep it’s color.

Regards,
Pablo

·
Premium Member
12,968 Posts
Looks just like the one I have and around the same price. No issues with quality or fit. Only thing I would say is once you have laid down the template double check fitment/location before drilling. Mine was off a smidge. I never installed the A-pillar mount....snorkel is still there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks just like the one I have and around the same price. No issues with quality or fit. Only thing I would say is once you have laid down the template double check fitment/location before drilling. Mine was off a smidge. I never installed the A-pillar mount....snorkel is still there.
No issues with color fading neither?

·
Registered
189 Posts
The pictures of the product on the site look okay. But the site itself is seriously questionable. I’ve never seen a site mention a refund if you haven’t received your item in 100 days. And from the reviews I read about the merchant many complained about never getting their items or it taking months only to receive cheap knock offs. Add to that, after 60 days you’re beyond being able to dispute the change with most banks, so you’re left at the mercy of the merchant. And this merchants reviews aren’t favorable in that regard. IMO better to spend the extra money and buy from a reputable dealer, especially when you’re looking at cutting a hole into your vehicle to install it. At least dealing with a reputable merchant if something doesn’t fit you can easily get it exchanged or replaced.

·
Registered
346 Posts
that looks like one of the "shopping" sites that show up on fakebook. prices are always questionably low and from all the reviews i've seen, nobody ever gets their product.

that said, my personal favorite is the offroad garage snorkel. they are in kazahkstan. a bit expensive and the shipping really hurts but it's very good quality stuff. all fiberglass, so a tad heavier but a lot stronger than the blow-molded plastic stuff. they have been great to deal with. they've got some crazy rigs on their site too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pictures of the product on the site look okay. But the site itself is seriously questionable. I’ve never seen a site mention a refund if you haven’t received your item in 100 days. And from the reviews I read about the merchant many complained about never getting their items or it taking months only to receive cheap knock offs. Add to that, after 60 days you’re beyond being able to dispute the change with most banks, so you’re left at the mercy of the merchant. And this merchants reviews aren’t favorable in that regard. IMO better to spend the extra money and buy from a reputable dealer, especially when you’re looking at cutting a hole into your vehicle to install it. At least dealing with a reputable merchant if something doesn’t fit you can easily get it exchanged or replaced.
That’s a formidable point, actually!
It has many elements that are true for the US market, but, unfortunately not true for the Latin market, like refunds and customer care, but the overall observation is actually very relevant amd well thought!

thanks a lot!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I got mine off of amazon for like $100. there was no template, but otherwise the thing was solid. Now It looks like its up to almost $200 on amazon but still better than half the price of ARB. the one in your link looks ok, but only experience will tell you for sure! I have seen a couple Chinese knockoffs and they all seemed plenty beefy. I'm sure there are some crappy ones out there. I really try to find a place where I can read some reviews before I buy.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Reactions: Pablo Contreras

·
Registered
310 Posts
It’s a plastic tube that feeds the air filter, don’t overthink it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Let us know how it works out. prices on that site seem way too low to be legit.
Don’t be a Debbie downer man, I’m going to enjoy the hell out of the 50cc min dirt bike pit bike I just ordered for $79. I’ll post pics when it gets here. It was between that and the Pittsburgh jack stand low pro jack for $59, obviously I went with the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Let us know how it works out. prices on that site seem way too low to be legit.
Agreed,
I've set an alarm to alert/open PayPal dispute , just in case, & if worse comes to worst, I'm out less than $50.
Mine Current one is of the $80-ish ones & has been a perfectly functioning tube of black plastic since day one,
indistinguishable from a $250.00 perfectly functioning tube of black plastic, (except for the extra $130.00 I was forced to spend on other stuff...?)

D?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don’t be a Debbie downer man, I’m going to enjoy the hell out of the 50cc min dirt bike pit bike I just ordered for $79. I’ll post pics when it gets here. It was between that and the Pittsburgh jack stand low pro jack for $59, obviously I went with the bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I'm shocked you didn't go for the Porter Cable battery tools!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Here are the potential problems I see:

Let's say you go the cheap route and buy the Chinese "no-name" snorkel. You cut a massive hole in your fender and install the snorkel. Life is good.

6 months later, or a year later, the snorkel impacts a tree branch off-road, or some idiot whacks it in a parking lot, and either the base or the upper portion need to be replaced.

You try to find the company where you purchased it, but their website no longer exists.

Or, two years later, the plastic is severely faded, the surface is crazing due to UV exposure, and the plastic is now VERY brittle.

Watcha gonna do?

·
Premium Member
12,968 Posts
For the low price you can buy them from overseas.....I would buy another.

For what it is worth I've had my cheap knock off on for over 5 years and it looks better than the factory black trim. I do also give it a good application of Mothers Back to Black every so often as well.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I keep having to like Mikey’s posts, always with the realness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 18 of 18 Posts