Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

snorkel = true CAI; water intake caution

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DEWFPO 
#1 ·
So, I started with an aFe CAI to improve air flow and drop intake air temps. I noted the improved air flow through the "seat-of-the-pants" method, but according to SGII data, the temp drop from stock CAI to aFe was minimal. I consistently registered intake temps 12-15 degrees above ambient with the aFe.

I then installed a TRD S/C and was really happy with the whole set up, but was still disappointed with the intake temps.

When I installed the snorkel I noticed a dramatic difference. Intake temperatures were consistently 0-3 degrees above ambient. I decided to seal the aFe CAI to take full advantage of the snorkel if necessary, but during my first torrential downpour on the highway noticed the motor coughing. After a little diagnosis, I unsealed the air box and found 1/2 inch of water pooled in the bottom, getting sucked in through the snorkel and then the ProDryS conical filter. I drained the air box, installed a clean, dry filter ProGuard7 filter and swiveled the snorkel intake to the rear. All good for the remainder of the trip.

Since I wasn't comfortable with the way the aFe sealed air box and conical filter so readily sucked in moisture with the S/C (I could hear it from inside the cabin... cool :D ) I put the stock CAI back in and sealed it. The intake temps over ambient are still consistently 0-3 degrees, but does heat up more readily at idle. The "seat-of-the-pants" has noticed a little difference, but it's negligible considering the weight I carry around (although it is significantly different when stripped down...:silly:) I have yet to see how it does in a downpour, but I expect the convoluted tubing to cut down on the S/C vacuum potential.

See less See more
#3 ·
Safari snorkel. I think between the direct porting of the snorkel and CAI (basically two smooth 90s as opposed to 6 with convoluted tubing of the stock intake), along with the high-flow filter and increased demand of the S/C, it was literally sucking water in through the snorkel. I suspect that simply turning the snorkel head 180 degrees to the rear would help, since you would eliminate the ram-air effect. I think it's a much better compromise with the stock intake with minimal power loss. Oh, I also have a deck-plated stock CAI if I decide I want increased airflow...

#4 ·
Probably wouldn't suck as much water in if you didn't have the SC, but it would still suck in quite a bit.:bandit:

#6 ·
Thanks for providing some data. I wonder what differences you would find if you turned the snorkel head 90 degrees instead of 180. The area in front of the windshield is a high pressure area. Having the snorkel head 90 degrees to the rain should still allow plenty of air to come in and the water and dirt to fly right on by. At least I would think.

DEWFPO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.