Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious about how a snorkel works and if it's worth it on my 07 FJ Cruiser... are they worth the money? Are they improve MPG, power? Or, do they just look good?

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Pull clean air from above. Stock the air cleaner get its air from the wheel well.

Something I want to do if I figure how to adapt the Safari snorkel to my Airaid intake. I still have all the OEM parts, may go back to stock air cleaner so I can upgrade. Just for the dusty roads.

Power, MPG, don't think so. The looks have kinda grown on me over the years. I wouldn't do it for the looks though. Water crossings? Don't know, I think you get it deep enough to pull water into the engine through the OEM cleaner you may/will encounter other problems. I have no experience there. Lots of experience with dusty roads.

Good luck,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pull clean air from above. Stock the air cleaner get its air from the wheel well.

Something I want to do if I figure how to adapt the Safari snorkel to my Airaid intake. I still have all the OEM parts, may go back to stock air cleaner so I can upgrade. Just for the dusty roads.

Power, MPG, don't think so. The looks have kinda grown on me over the years. I wouldn't do it for the looks though.

Good luck,
all you need to convert the ARB Safari snorkel to the airaid intake is
3.5" to 4" Silicone Reducer Hose - 4 Ply Heavy Duty Silicone Hose Coupler - Ticon Industries
from amazon and one 4" hose clamp, you can reuse the original hose clamp from the factory side and the coupler will need to be trimmed to make clearance since its not an offset coupler, your other choice would be to find a 3.5 to 4 offset coupler (would be much more expensive but wouldnt need trimmed)

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Thank you! (you speak from experience?) Jade is a '13

@Rafael_fjc07 Don't mean to hijack your thread, something that has been on my mind for a while. :) I'll start another thread.

Reactions: Rafael_fjc07

·
Registered
3 Posts
(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Thank you! (you speak from experience?) Jade is a '13

@Rafael_fjc07 Don't mean to hijack your thread, something that has been on my mind for a while. :) I'll start another thread.
i have a '10 so should be the same where the snorkel comes into the fender is about 3/4 of an inch below where the intake will come through so there is an angle the coupler has to make thats why you need the length also i gave you the wrong part (i bought the one from amazon first and it wasnt long enough)
CXRACING 4" to 3.5" Black Straight Hose Reducer, 4.5" Length, 3 Layers
it is a pain in the ass but the intake noise coming from head level and right outside the window is pretty neat, make sure you seal up all the holes in the airaid to include the bolts in the bottom

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm just curious about how a snorkel works and if it's worth it on my 07 FJ Cruiser... are they worth the money? Are they improve MPG, power? Or, do they just look good?
and as far as the "need" for it, if you ever get into water deep enough to justify it, the engine trans and diffs have all taken on water the fuel tank has water in it the truck is full of water and everything is ruined, the factory intake as long as you have the fender liners is completely protected from most anything that might get in there. so that only leaves the look and sound, both of which sold me. one thing that most dont say about the snorkel, since its out in the open anything can fly in there you of course have a filter but i had a dead bird in my factory intake box that i found when i installed the airaid, so it becomes a maintenance service to open the intake box and make sure you dont have anything in there to include water from when it rains

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
The snorkel was originally intended to bring cooler/cleaner air in (in hot/dusty environs), but also elevates intake from high water.
Mine is an Amazon knock-off on my '11 (~$100.00) never had any problems w/ it ( its just a tube of plastic...)
I have a Volant air box & used a rubber reducer as mentioned & also used a short length of flexible metal dryer duct (from inner fender to Volant box) which allowed me to hook it up easier & collapse it back into position when I put box back in.
When I installed my snorkel, I took the advice of someone & "cut the big hole FIRST" (then you're committed) Get a good hole saw.
I also recommend doing the "Scuba" mod for peace of mind, w/ these mods I was able to help out some folks during Harvey & never had one hiccup...
Darrell

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had a safari snorkel for close to 2 yrs now. May just be my imagination but I did seem to notice what seemed like better MPGs. The main reason I installed was to be able to do river crossings, but being somewhat new at the time, did not realize that I also needed breathers as well. Learned that lesson real quick. Like the guys above said it does help pull in cleaner air. But make sure if you decide to do it for the water aspect, seal the thing! Or it's kinda pointless lol.
(there are cheaper options btw, rather than a safari snorkel)

·
Premium Member
4,871 Posts
and as far as the "need" for it, if you ever get into water deep enough to justify it, the engine trans and diffs have all taken on water the fuel tank has water in it the truck is full of water and everything is ruined
+1. Don't put a snorkel on and think you now drive a submarine. There's a hundred things under the hood that won't like being submerged, not just the intake. Turn the snorkel intake backwards and you'll suck in less dust offroad, but don't start dunking the front end in deeper water than you would originally.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge and inputs. I think I'm not moving forward and installing a snorkel for my rig. I'm not that kind of "deep-water" off-roader, also, it makes total sense to me that there are many important parts under the hood and the engine, like the knock position sensor, and those wires and connectors, are exposed.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,181 Posts
Auto Expert, I always enjoy his polite, restrained and retiring presentation! :)
"Conclusion: It's a handbag for men."

What about buying a Jeep then?

I wish more "journalists" were like him.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Auto Expert, I always enjoy his polite, restrained and retiring presentation! :)
"Conclusion: It's a handbag for men."

What about buying a Jeep then?

I wish more "journalists" were like him.
It sounds tentative but for now, I'll go with my FJ and see how far I can go. thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
The water doesn’t have to be extremely deep for the snorkel to be justified. Depending on the approach angle and speed, you can fail to make a good bow wave and splash water over your hood and into the intake. I believe at some point Toyota changed the air intake from the fender to the cowl, but I could be mistaken. I’ll have to check on this tonight.

Reactions: NyNomad
1 - 20 of 25 Posts