Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I installed my Safari snorkel a couple months ago. Been using it in the heat of FL and sometimes 40 degrees in Wisconsin currently and I wish I had installed it sooner. It has given me 2 more MPG and also acts as a cold air intake with my air temps idling sitting at a light in Florida being about 10-15 degrees above ambient. I also bought a prefilter just like the ones Oshkosh Defense uses on their JLTVs which separates debris and water from getting into the snorkel. Have yet to water wade with it but I do not want to risk anything going through water that high. PLUS it looks sick

·
Registered
1 Posts
Much to fording is technique and not equipment. First make sure you know how deep the water is and that the bottom is firm. My FJ does not have a snorkel and I have forded water up to the door handles with no problem. You must keep moving and keep a bow wave. Don't let it break over your hood. The interior does not get wet nor does the engine compartment......now if you stop in the water all bets are off. Differentials, transfer cases, etc. have breathers with caps that it is possible for water to get past but in draining them after fording I have not found any. You can extend these to make them higher or run them to the engine compartment if you want to eliminate this concern. The snorkel may help keep your intake air a little less dusty but it's main purpose is to improve fording ability......for example lets say you don't keep a bow wave for a moment....... Recommend you start shallow and work yourself deeper as you get comfortable.....or join the military and let them train you. If I install the snorkel kit I can actually drive my Dodge M37 under the water.....it has waterproof electrical system as well. Youtube probably has some good fording videos as well.

·
Registered
2008 Sandstorm FT 4x4 6spd Man Trans Off-Road Pkg
263 Posts
I have not installed the snorkel yet. I have always wanted to. I have the FJ with the factory offroad package. It came with the cyclonic pre-filter. I empy a lot of dirt out of the little rubber drain in the bottom of the pre-filter. I do not do a lot of off road driving, but the intake inside the right fender well sucks a lot of dust anytime I do. In my opinion the snorkel would be worth it just to get the intake up into less dirty air.

Reactions: Lee44

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hope you like replacing your alternator and pulleys. Every time I have gone through significant water the pulleys & alternator goes out shortly thereafter. But The snorkel looks cool though!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts