Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 408 Posts

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
25 Rigs on the Mojave Road Expedition

Post your photos and commentary here! (please)

Madness -- Oh, there was plenty

Carnage -- Plenty of that too.

And SNOW!

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The Line-Up:
(in alphabetical order)
CADAVEBERT
CROZHAWK/FLYNDRIVE (In Croz' Wild 4 Runner)
DELRAY
DOMINICG
FJAMMING
FJGORDY
GEO88
GTKROCKETT
HELLUS
JESHUA
LUCKYSTRIKE
MATTMAINSTER
MIKESCRUISER
MIR207
MOABFJ & CA-ANNIE
PAUL207 (Mir's Brother) (in his 4 Runner)
MUDLOVINGFJ (whose name may be changed to snow/slush and mudlovingfj)
SICKTRD
SPARMAN
STEVEB
UPHILL
VOLHOO
WRIGMAN
UNKNOWNUSERX
ZOSHYII

Getting it all together at the Afton Canyon Off-Ramp. We were concerned that CA-ANNIE might have overloaded her rig (at left), but MOABFJ assured it that it would be much lighter after fireside consumption... He was quite correct.

OVERVIEW - 23 FJ Cruisers and 2 Four-Runners would run the Mojave Road from Afton Canyon (near Barstow, CA) to Fort Mojave (near Needles, CA) from Saturday, February 2 through Sunday, February 3.

· Registered
378 Posts
Man it was a good time and I'm glad I came out for it. Next time I will show up with my own rig. (Thanks Croz for letting me co pilot.)

It was nice meeting you all from the left coast. See you on the next cross country trail run.

-Ben

· Emeritus Moderator
7,444 Posts
Waiting to see and hear about the trip....Ok, everyone post up! :D

· Registered
238 Posts
Had a great time....THANKS SO MUCH TO LARRY for putting this together!!......Also thanks to Gordon for helping me out and keeping all of us stragglers in line.....I have about 200 pics uploaded on costco photo but I don't know how to post a link to all of them on the forum, if you PM me your email I can send them all to you.....until then here is a preview...

· Premium Member
19,414 Posts
Still unpacking! Taking little breaks to sneak a peak at the board. Here's a pic I posted in the original thread to ease Sandabbe's mind. :)

More pics to come later

· Premium Member
8,892 Posts
Good time for sure I am supper tired didn't even finish unpacking and cleaning up the mess. Larry let me spread my little wings and be the point man (drive real fast ahead of every one to make sure the trail was in good shape for every one) If you don't know me I love to drive fast and the Mojave is no exception for me. I only got a little to far out in front of them once in the wash on the first day. (its kind of a maze) I ended up having to drive back a couple miles to meet back up with them and then lead them back in to the wash. Once we got on to Soda lake Mir joined me out in front and man he is a wild man it was a little muddy and I was a little converned for the 2 4x2 we had but they got through fine, but Mir.... hahaha as we were crossing the lake at 60 or so we came up on a big mudd puddle I blasted through then watched Mir in my mirrors hit this thing and go flying up in the air and side ways he is sliding all over the place but brings the pig back down and straightens it out. :lol: we laughed about this one while we looked for a nice place to stop for lunch.

Ok I will post more tomorrow along with pics. :D

It was great meeting you all.

· Premium Member
19,414 Posts
It's true. Jeshua outran Uphill's radio!

· Registered
1,652 Posts
Nice...Can't wait to see the rest of the pictures....

· Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,538 Posts
Carnage -- Plenty of that too.

Yup, I managed to blow probably the toughest offroad tire available in North America (Pitbull Rockers). Turns out you can't combine baja desert racing with rock crawling at the same time! -- Thanks to the SoCal pit crew for getting me going again (Jeshua, mudluvin, fjamming).

Can't say I missed the snow, though. Brrrr.

Paul's 4runner made it back. Seems like we have to be more careful with the engine oil and transmission fluid.

· Premium Member
4,674 Posts
What an excellent weekend! This trail run was our favorite one so far. The people, rigs, food, trails, beverages, mud, was beyond extraordinary.

Thank you so much to Larry for setting this up and handling such a huge group of people and thank you to Josh for preruning the trail to make sure we all would be fine.

We have some pics and a lot of video which we will post up later :)

· Registered
238 Posts
Yup, I managed to blow probably the toughest offroad tire available in North America (Pitbull Rockers). Turns out you can't combine baja desert racing with rock crawling at the same time! -- Thanks to the SoCal pit crew for getting me going again (Jeshua, mudluvin, fjamming).

Can't say I missed the snow, though. Brrrr.

Paul's 4runner made it back. Seems like we have to be more careful with the engine oil and transmission fluid.
Glad to hear you guys made it back ok, we stopped to air up......I'm with you though....I wasn't prepared for the snow, can't say I missed it either...lol

· Premium Member
7,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The first few hours...

It's tough to get all the rigs in one picture, so some of these show a progression of the .... progression of the FJ's in the train.

0900 HRS

Through Afton Canyon

This is where we're about to go under the bridge that has no roads on either side.

After we make our way through SEVERAL water crossings in Afton Canyon, we chop through about eight miles of sand dunes and arrive at SODA LAKE. It's not a dry lake. There is water under the surface and you can sink in it! Never the less, a group vanity shot was called for.

Small world - CROZHAWK and I were both assigned to US Navy - SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team ONE (SDVT-1) so we needed to talk about it. I'm older than he is and it seems that I was there a bit before he was, however it is a very small world.

My daughter, Heather, was very impressed with Soda Lake.

The Scorpion on the road to the old ore stamping mill. This is an OLD road that nature more-or-less reclaimed until I roared up. There is a stamping mill, some tailings mostly under drifting sand with some evidence of equipment and shattered quartz. In the background everyone is beginning to set up for lunch.

"Uphill, how long are we going to be here for lunch?"
"I don't know, how long do we need to be here for lunch?"
A grill is produced - because lunch is the third most important meal of the day.

1300 HRS

Shortly after lunch, MIR207 was clipping along the narrow road, bounded by volcanic rocks at a modest 60 mph and one of the rocks leaped out and sliced his new Pitbull tire sidewall. First trail carnage of the trip, but we'd just had lunch so the stop allowed the food to settle.

SPECIAL THANKS TO FJGORDY
for the unenviable job of tail gunner for this motley crew. Gordy and I both had 2 meter band radios and it allowed us to coordinate between the front and rear of the column which was sometimes a couple miles in length.

· Registered
3,744 Posts
Just got unpacked and out of the shower. Feel good enough to post up a few. Will post up more tomorrow.
[/IMG]
Part of the madness was this Englishman's driving!
[/IMG]
Uphill, being the ex Navy man he is MADE us stop for the pledge of allegiance!
[/IMG]
Had to post up a Father and son pic!

We had a fantastic time this weekend! Thank you Uphill(and Ms uphill II)for all you did in getting this all together!
Got to meet some new friends and have a blast with some old ones! There was a small amount of carnage on the trail with Nala. I have no pic's of the event but lets just say that her hitch was needed!:cowsmile:

· Registered
974 Posts
the yellow air bag lift .... is that being run off the exhuast pipe?

If it isnt I just got a real good idea that someone else will market and I lose out .
Like on when in a dream it came to me to make a peetz reel alarm clock .
Found out i was a few years late inventing that one.

Is it run off the exhaust or is there a compressor hook up back there?

I would love to do a run like you guys do :cheers:

· Premium Member
4,674 Posts
the yellow air bag lift .... is that being run off the exhuast pipe?

If it isnt I just got a real good idea that someone else will market and I lose out .
Like on when in a dream it came to me to make a peetz reel alarm clock .
Found out i was a few years late inventing that one.

Is it run off the exhaust or is there a compressor hook up back there?

I would love to do a run like you guys do :cheers:
It is an ARB X-Jack. It is powered off of the exhaust or by a compressor or powertank

1 - 20 of 408 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.