Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am headed for some boarding tomorrow and purchased some snow chains for my 285/70/17 terra grapplers in the event I need them. I tried to test fit them tonight but found the chains would not fit the terra grapplers even though they are the correct size chains. Do I need a larger chains because of the AT tires? Do anyone know what size would fit 285/70/17 terra grappler?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I picked up some Rud Grip 4x4 (model 2533) chains to fit my 295/70R17 Terra Grapplers and they fit great. This same size should work well on a 285 as well. Specs for the 2533 model:

Fits tire sizes:
275/65R20
285/65R20
33x12.50R15
305/70-16
33x12.5-16.5
305/50R20

As you can see, they don't list a 295 or 285 for a 17" rim. But I took a chance and it turned out they fit just fine. I did a complete review of these chains if you're interested:

Traction Control: RUD Grip 4×4 Chains Review

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
145 Posts
I did a complete review of these chains if you're interested:

Cheers,

Jeff[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
BoxOnWheels/Jeff............I read your review on the RUD Grip 4x4 Chains a couple of weeks ago and again today. My question is this, did you ever go back and test the chains with the carabiner in lieu of the tension strap.

I would be very interested in your findings & any additional observations of using the chains this current winter.

Don

·
Registered
511 Posts
Don,

From what I've read, RUD actually recommends hooking the tension chain loosely, just to keep it out of the way. Apparently, they never intended for this chain to have tension on it. Assuming that's the case, the carabiner setup should work just fine IMO. I actually purchased the carabiners last year and hooked them to the chains so they are ready to go when I need them. But we've had a much lighter winter this year and I've been busy with work, so I haven't had a chance to go back and test yet. I'll be sure and post up again though if I do get a good opportunity.

Jeff

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jeff, gotcha.....that makes sense.

Thanks for the quick reply and I'll be looking for any additional reports from you. By the way I've read many of your other reports and have found them very helpful..................a "BIG THANKS" to you. :clap:

Don

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I picked up some Rud Grip 4x4 (model 2533) chains to fit my 295/70R17 Terra Grapplers and they fit great. This same size should work well on a 285 as well. Specs for the 2533 model:

Fits tire sizes:
275/65R20
285/65R20
33x12.50R15
305/70-16
33x12.5-16.5
305/50R20

As you can see, they don't list a 295 or 285 for a 17" rim. But I took a chance and it turned out they fit just fine. I did a complete review of these chains if you're interested:

Cheers,

Jeff
Thanks...I took a chance and went up to Big Bear today. Fortunately they let me go up with just 4x4 and no chains. I am a bit surprise that the chains that I had purchased didn't fit the tire they were made for. I will check out the RUD that you've reviewed.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
How was it up there today? My buddy went up Friday night and they were snowed in all weekend, barely made it out this morning. With the weather as clear as it was today it was probably really cold but probably really good. Hoping to make it up there this Thursday and play hooky from work. You wanna go back?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
How was it up there today? My buddy went up Friday night and they were snowed in all weekend, barely made it out this morning. With the weather as clear as it was today it was probably really cold but probably really good. Hoping to make it up there this Thursday and play hooky from work. You wanna go back?
It was great...lots of fun. We did some runs down the backside of Geronimo. Lot's of fresh powder and it wasn't crowded at all. Going up, there was snow all the way up the 38. Got stopped at a check point for snowchains but the caltran guy let us up with just the 4x4. We came back down around 3:30PM and by that time, the roads were mostly dry and clear. Thanks but I got to work this Thursday:(. Have fun if you decide to go.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the Terra Grapplers 285/70/17 size, what I found fits perfectly is going with a bit taller size chains in a size 285/75/17.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts