Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the factory tires for the past few years and used some snow chains that fit 265/70/17. I got some Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17 in October and never thought the chains wouldn't fit. I tried them on Saturday since the CHP was mandating it on all vehicles. They fit but it took a lot of work and they were so tight I thought they were going to snap. I think the Nittos are a little beefier so they don't fit. Anyone have a similar problem? Any snow chain recomendations?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the factory tires for the past few years and used some snow chains that fit 265/70/17. I got some Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17 in October and never thought the chains wouldn't fit. I tried them on Saturday since the CHP was mandating it on all vehicles. They fit but it took a lot of work and they were so tight I thought they were going to snap. I think the Nittos are a little beefier so they don't fit. Anyone have a similar problem? Any snow chain recomendations?
I have the same problem with my 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers. You can check the attached link. You can also check out Jeff's (BoxOnWheels) review on the RUD chains.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/wheels-tires/124458-snow-chains-285-70-17-terra-grapplers.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
What I've found to fit perfectly for my Terra Grappler 285/70/17 tires was going with a set of taller chains in a size 285/75/17. You can try a set of snow chains for 265/75/17 instead of 265/70/17 to see if that works for you.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I've found to fit perfectly for my Terra Grappler 285/70/17 tires was going with a set of taller chains in a size 285/75/17. You can try a set of snow chains for 265/75/17 instead of 265/70/17 to see if that works for you.
Thanks this was exactly the sort of answer I was looking for. Someone who had sucessfully solved the same problem. Since most places don't allow returns I wasn't sure what to try. Any brand recommendations? What'd you get?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks this was exactly the sort of answer I was looking for. Someone who had sucessfully solved the same problem. Since most places don't allow returns I wasn't sure what to try. Any brand recommendations? What'd you get?
I purchased the Alpine Sport diamond links from Kragen Autoparts. At first they look like a tangle mess but once you figure it out... they are very easy to install. I used to run cables in my older SUV but these seem alot easier to put on. If you purchase them from Kragen Autoparts they will let you test fit them and exhange them for a different size if needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts