Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience running snow chains on their FJ?

I need to buy a set of snow chains for my 285/70/17 tires. My FJC has a three-inch lift and 0 offset wheels. I'm wondering if anyone else has experience running snow chains on this tire size and if there was any rubbing or issues from a wheel clearance perspective. To be clear, I need quality chains, not thin cable chains.

Thanks in advance!

· Premium Member
16,122 Posts
My biggest concern would be the clearance between the tires and the UCA's.... assuming you've already done a body mount chop to get clearance there.

Would a set of studded Nokians work instead?

· Registered
2011 Silver Fresco
134 Posts
What about socks instead of chains? I have no personal experience with these but my FIL uses them on his GX.

· Premium Member
16,122 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. I haven't done the BMC but will get that done this weekend. I have studded snowtires already, but need chains for wheeling in deep snow.
I've aired down to 12 and had lots of luck in the deep stuff... Just saying.
(Just don't do donuts when aired down a lot, lol. My buddy learned that the hard way and popped a bead)

Reactions: ZerosFJ

· Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
10,627 Posts
Seems like the 'Grip 4x4' chains are pretty decent. Diamond pattern and all. No personal experience here, but they say they only need like 5/8" clearance. With your wheel offset sounds like you would have enough UCA clearance. Chop the mounts and youre probably good to roll!

· Premium Member
16,122 Posts
Once you get enough snow packed under the skid plates and your wheels have nothing to grab onto the fun is done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shoveling is great exercise though!
;)

(Oh yeah, take a long handled shovel, lol. It's eery hearing the whole vehicle shift and lower as you shovel it out... So it's better not to be UNDER it as it settles lower)

· Registered
768 Posts
This is from page 183 of the 2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser owners manual for Canada:
Font Screenshot Number Parallel Rectangle

Presumably you won't be putting tire chains on the front tires. Even on the rear, be careful. You have taller and wider tires than the vehicle was designed for, and reduced offset bringing the tires outbound further. Make sure than when the suspension is compressed that the tire chain has plenty of clearance. If the chain hits, there can be substantial damage.

Reactions: DocME

· Admin
6,858 Posts
I have a pair of heavy duty Pewag chains. Like these on my old 70 series
Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

Running 285’s with lift. There is no clearance on the front for these or any chain to fit on the front unless you have offset wheels or add spacers . I think it is @Primer ‘s build thread somewhere includes front chains with spacers.

· Premium Member
6,847 Posts
I have 285`s on my FJ. I live in the mountains and usually get a bout 10 ft of snow a year. Last year we got 5 ft of snow in 1 week. I had all four of my tires chained up and it worked just fine. No rubbing on anything. :)

Reactions: Winterpeg

· Premium Member
22 Posts
I run stock tires and have used chains numerous times. One key would be to make certain you keep your chains tight, at all times. Put them on drive a short distance and re-tighten and then don't be afraid to stop, check and if needed re-tighten. As some have already indicated, if you are running in deep snow it's a better idea to air your tires down. Always my first choice in deep snow because again as someone already mentioned once you dig down with chains on you are high centered. You are correct in saying digging out is good exercise but wouldn't you rather be covering ground, seeing the sites? I'd recommend spending the $$$ on a good portable air compressor for airing back up when you get back to the road and traction boards if you do get high centered anyway. Now when you start talking mud, then chains are must have. You made another good comment, spend the $$$ and get quality chains, definitely recommended. Adding several quick links, extra cross links and chain pliers would be a good idea too as invarably chains break. Happy safe trails!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.