Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Storm of the century headed for Atlanta! Could get 4"!!! Yeah... I know. And hear I sit with BFG ATs with 30,000 miles on them - probably 20% tread left. Despite living in ATL, I've got some snow experience (moved here from NYC) but I'd like to hear some thoughts on what to expect from these almost worn out ATs, e.g. how useless will they be if we do get some "real" snow.

I was thinking of airing down to 22-24 psi to let (what's left of) the siping do as much as possible...

I'm also preparing for the crap I'm going to catch from Blind Side - he lives up the street and his FJ is sitting on brand new MTs... at least I've got someone to pull me out ;-)

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
LOL....You're right. They will be crap....lol. But then again you will have 4wd which means you will just get further into the same ditches everyone else slides into since very very few people down that way have any idea what it means to slow down when it is slippery.

I was down in SC once during snow and it blew my mind watching people pass on the interstate at 70mph with an inch of snow and summer tires..... A mile down the road they are either in the median or stuck on a slight incline of an off ramp....lol

Good luck. Stock up now and just stay home.....Much safer.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Storm of the century headed for Atlanta!
Damn!

No biggie regardless of tires or PSIs, but airing down may help a little, though...

Didn't have any problems even when I drove through NE blizzards in my Camry.

Try NOT to think of your truck as a pretty capable 4WD all - terrain vehicle.

---

Just drive slow, and be mindful of your vehicle's mass and braking distance.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got through 30" here in NJ last week and 10" down in NC during Christmas on my stock Dunlops (can't wait to upgrade them). I think driving sense is key here. You're a New Yorker, you'll be fine!!:cheers:
It was funny to see the Carolinians struggle with a couple inches. I would stay off the roads down there just to avoid the other drivers!! :bigthumb:
But stock up on milk and eggs, you'll be trapped for weeks!!!! LOL!!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah - I fear the southerners who assume the 4-wheel-drive in their SUVs make them stop and turn as well as they accelerate.

I'm looking forward to getting out in the neighborhood and playing... uhm... I mean scout around and see any neighbors need help ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Around these parts it's not what you do in your FJ as much as it all of the other drivers on the road do or don't do. Between the lack of enough DOT equipment and the abundance of inexperienced drivers, it doesn’t take much accumulation for it to become a nightmare. Also remember that ice/black ice can humble even the most experienced and well equipped driver.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Okay, it's snowing in Decatur / Atlanta right now...

Looks bad. There's already this layer of partially - molten slush under all that nice white fluff, and it seems that the streets are really going to get iced.

Looking at a hell of a lot of accidents tomorrow - hopefully I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I wouldn't air down it will make you float on top of the snow instead of digging in. Slow down and watch out for the other guy. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I think your tires will handle it if you have sense. I think you should make a sign and charge people $10 to pull them out of the ditches. By the end of tomorrow, you'll have enough cash to pay for new tires.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Being from Pittsburgh area (at age 16 I took my driver license test in 9" of fresh snow...)....now living in NC...I rather it snow as the FJ is VERY capable in the snow....however, be mindful of other drivers in the snow...

Now, ICE, that is another story ALTOGETHER.....with the exception of studded tires, NO ONE should attempt to drive on ICE....let me say that AGAIN, NO ONE should attempt to drive on ICE....

We have all seen the youtube vids of people from OREGON, COLORADO, WASHINGTON, PENNSYLVANIA, etc, and yes......perish the thought....people from New York and New Jersey (God knows they are the worlds best drivers....;) ) sliding around on ice causing accidents.....

So, my suggestion:

Snow = FUN, be mindful of other in-experienced drivers.

Ice = stay at home with the family, order some Netflix and then, watch the 6 o'clock news reporting all the people who "thought they could drive because they were northern transplants used to winter driving" and all the accidents that were caused by carelessness.

my .02

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Time and distance. Stops and turns are the trick. Airing down too far causes loss of contact patch and thus friction on the road surface.

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Seems to have stopped snowing for the moment...

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Left the house at 9:AM... made it 200 yards before I stopped to help a 2-wheel-drive 4Runner (name seems oxymoronic now) who'd tried to make it up the hill... towed it to the top.

Even with the spent BFGs, the FJ is sloggin through the 5" of snow/ice like a commercial. Tomorrow am may be a different story... as everything ices over.

·
Premium Member
12,942 Posts
snow sounds fun
For the first 10 minutes or so it is, it gets old real quick.

No need to air down - it will be more of a hinderance than help.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
We have 8" on the ground already here in Chesnee, SC (just outside Spartanburg) and another 5" plus forcast. We are staying home, no need to go out just to go out. The shop is here so just a normal day for me, although only up to 50 degrees in the shop at this point.

We moved here last June, so far the hottest Summer on record here and now the biggest storm in 22 years. SC is supposed to have "moderate" weather, yeah sure :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts