Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys
winter is coming, any suggestion for winter tire (4x2 most of the time)?

medium snow most of the time.

thanks.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,856 Posts
Blizzaks are pretty tried and true. On the flip side, there seem to be a lot of options out there that come in cheaper these days.

·
Premium Member
12,202 Posts
IMO stay away from Blizzaks. The 'grippy' layer - for lack of a better term - on the tire will only last you ~10K miles. After that you are left with a marginally performing all season tire.

IMO Nokian is the best option for a committed winter tire.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have 10K miles on my Blizzaks and am no where near being through the "grippy" layer. The traction in the ice and snow is excellent. I'll buy them again when I wear these out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

But, Blizzaks is out of my budget, any cheaper but good products recommended?

Another question. Can I use steel wheel instead of alloy on my FJ?

I don't have enough money to spent on whole set of new winter tires plus alloy wheels.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If studded tires are allowed...

The cheapest winter tire + studs will best the best non studded winter tire IMHO.

I've run blizzaks in the past. Happier with winter studded by far!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Stud the duratracs, otherwise they are not that good on snow. Or, as I should say, they are ok, but nowhere near an actual snow tire

·
Registered
197 Posts
Stud the duratracs, otherwise they are not that good on snow. Or, as I should say, they are ok, but nowhere near an actual snow tire
I disagree... I'm on my second set and they work excellent for me. Most others here will agree with me.. To each their own I guess..

·
Registered
482 Posts
How many people, who think Duratracs are excellent in the snow, have compared them directly to modern studless snow tires? Probably not many...

I'm sure the Duratracs go good in the snow (I have a friend who plows snow who uses them) as do my Michelin LTX A/T and my KM2. But I guarantee they don't come close on ice to an actual snow tire.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Check out the latest Consumer Reports. Don't have it close by right now. They test a batch of all-season, all-terrain and snow tires. If you want a list of the best rated snow tires I can dig it up and post it.
I know the Michelin and Nokian did well but I check was the best and cheapest was.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Found the magazine. The Continental ExtremeWinterContact came in second and is $2 a tire cheaper than the Bridgestone DMV-1 ($156). The Yokohama iceGuard was $10 a tire cheaper ($147) and has the same overall rating as the Bridgestone though not quite as good in snow traction and ice traction as the Bridgestone. Best of the rest and rated slightly lower was the General Altimax Arctic. It's $138 a tire for our stock size tire. It was rated worse than average for wet braking and handling (better than the Bridgestone.)
Top 3 were the Michelin Latitude X-ice ($1680, the Continental ($154) and the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 ($189.) Same overall score but the Michelin had much better than average snow and ice traction.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have tried DuraTracs and dedicated snow tires. Even though DuraTracs are better than the standard tires, they are nowhere as good on snow and especially ice as dedicated winter tire.
I recommend either Nokians or if on a budget - General Altimax

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Nokian Hak Ice snow is the top tire in my experience, I have used Blizzaks as well but the Haks are a better tire, the Michelins are ok on ice and low snow but have a shallow tread depth which makes them not as good in deeper snow... I am running Duratraks now, they do not come close to a true ice/snow tire on low snow and ice conditions.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've run Blizzaks and thought they were pretty good until I got the Nokian Hakka 5 SUV's. They are almost incredible! I only use 4Hi in heavy snow storms. For the rest I leave it in 2Hi and let the computer do it's thing. Amazing. My only complaint about the Nokians is that they are a heavily studded tire (12 rows of studs) and the grip on pavement suffers because of them. That and the noise they make. This is good though because come spring I can't wait to take them off.
I drove AT's in winter for many decades until one set was good enough for summer but I wasn't too keen on driving in winter with them so I got a set of Blizzaks for the winter and couldn't believe the difference. Then I got the Nokians and these were even better. Braking on ice is unbelievable. It's almost like driving on a loose dirt road. Where the FJ's electronic nannies are scary with an AT in winter, they work great with a good set of winter tires. The extra safety margin is worth every penny.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts