Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
After driving through 2 sets of BFGoodrich AT KOs (50k miles each) I started looking for an AT that does better on snow and ice. I drive from Denver to the mountains every weekend all year, so a fair amount of that is in horrific road conditions.

Settled on skinny (235/85/16--wanted 255/85s but options are limited) Cooper Discoverer ATWs. They're studless ATs but "rated for severe weather." A well-timed storm let me put them through a worse-than-usual winter weekend straightaway, and they just blew my mind compared with the BFGs. 70mph on packed snow and ice, get on the brakes and it feels like dry pavement. Had to brake hard to make them slip on ice. No lateral movement nor floating on slush at decent speeds. 2' deep powder on rutted gravel not a problem. Climbed wet snow on mud at a pretty steep grade like a champ. I'm super impressed and looking forward to improved circulation in my knuckles this winter.

Also they don't look half bad with a 3" lift...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Different snow conditions in different parts of the country make a difference in tires and tractions, so that's why you are seeing so many "this-tire-is-great-no-it's-not" discussions.

Up where I'm at we don't get deep snow but it packs hard into ice that stays around for a while.

My 4x2 has Firestone Destinations A/T and they are very good in snow (they are snow rated) and I can get around OK on the ice*. I just put a set of Firestone Winterforce (and added studs) on our small Nissan 2wd pickup truck, and MAN, it stops, goes and turns like a Porsche! When we got some early ice here last week, I took the kids to school and drove the Nissan with the studded ties and left the FJ and the new Highlander AWD in the garage.

Check out the Winterforce at Firestone, I was able to make a great deal (they like to "wheel and deal" there).

*It also helps to know how and when to use the FJ's LSD and Rear Lockers based on road conditions. I had considered trading in and getting a 4X4 FJ, but I get around just fine in the snow and ice around here...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Which tire shops on-line do forum members use to buy Nokian Haks in our size (16" TRD stock wheels?) Forum sponsor Discount Tire Direct does not offer Nokians.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Our 4x2 does OK here in Montana, as long as you know in what situations you use the Auto LSD or the rear lockers. Even so, you still have to finesse it a little to get going. So I bought 2 studded snow tires (Cooper Discoverer M+S) for the rear and now the FJ runs just as good as out other 4x4's and AWD vehicles.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Drove on DuraTracs for 20k and replaced them with TKO2s
Simply love the BFG. Have never had any issues with them in snow.
The DuraTracs seemed to have soft, squishy sidewalls

·
Registered
657 Posts
I personally don't have experience with the new all weather tires. They've been on the market for a few years. I think Nokian started the trend. Though they are not quite as good as the best winter tires, they are better than some. If you're looking at cheapest option, an all weather tire would be hard to beat because you avoid buying another set of wheels or costly changeover twice a year.
They would probably be more effective than cheap winter tires too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Different snow conditions in different parts of the country make a difference in tires and tractions, so that's why you are seeing so many "this-tire-is-great-no-it's-not" discussions.
Agreed! Here in NJ, some winters lots of snow, some not so much. But cold pavement and moisture means we do deal with black ice on a regular basis.

Over the years I have settled on the Michelin X-ice for my vehicles, really good in snow and icy stuff. Wear like the devil. They also perform quite well on dry and standing water. Wife loves them on her 4runner.

This last time however I decided to try something new for the FJ so went with the Nokians. Happy to report that they perform at least as well in various snow conditions as well as dry road. Will need to report back on wear.

Attachments

21 - 27 of 27 Posts