Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually 4 of them, but only 2 will be mine. One is for a friend and the other is for my dad. Not sure exactly what I will be doing with both of mine, but one of them will definitely have a shooting deck welded on top for a mobile hog hunting platform.

We have already secured pintle hitch receivers for them, but I need to know what type of 12 volt bulb to switch them out to and what type of adapter I can use on it to convert over to a standard trailer wiring plug.

This is the first time I have participated in a gov auction and all the forums have been filled out and sent so I realize it may be up to 60 days before we can go pick them up.

Basically, I need to know what else we need to tow them back here to the compound (about 40 miles).

I know the search engine is my friend and it has gotten me this far, but my search-fu seams to be weak tonight.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I think my paperwork took almost 90 days to go through.

The 24V bulbs will light up with 12V, they will just be dim. I think they were just 1156s to convert them to 12V.

I was unable to find an adapter, so I made my own:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...118774-military-civilian-trailer-adapter.html

The other option would be a cheap set of magnetic towing lights. I had issues with these staying on at highway speeds though.

·
Registered
574 Posts
ive heard those trailers a large and heavy how does the fj handle towing it
Yes, they are a tad big, but it would be tough to find something better for $400. You can still move it around by hand.

Mine tows it pretty decently at highway speeds. I do take the canvas off if I plan on going that fast though. Around town it is fine with the top on or off. The trailers have built in surge brakes, this really helps with stopping when loaded.

I got mine mainly for hauling firewood, mulch, lumber, and etc. I may use it for camping once in a while as well.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick and informative response! Do you use the surge brakes alot or disable them?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks for the quick and informative response! Do you use the surge brakes alot or disable them?
For general hauling I leave them on. They came in handy when an 18 wheeler decided my space was his space at about 65 mph.

I am not sure how they perform off road though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts