Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was outside this morning inspecting the rig and I noticed that my front drivers side coil was snapped! I will be calling ICON and KLM Performance (east coast distributor where I bought them) on Monday to see if they will set me up with a replacement. I can't believe it broke. I guess wheeling does that :boohoo:

Here are some picts

I don't know when it happened, probably at Rausch Creek in the spring looking at the rust at the breakage.

Is driving with a broken coil safe? Strange thing is I haven't noticed any difference while driving on pavement.

Thanks for your advice!

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Wow, that is pretty crazy. I find it hard to understand how that kind of failure could happen without you knowing about it.

I would say that driving with a coil like that is NOT safe. Even though it may be stable now, all it has to do is slip/move and your FJ will be a handling nightmare. At the wrong time/place, you could be trying to maintain control at a relatively high rate of speed. May not be an easy task.

I would swap the coil with almost anything ASAP and/or take the coilover off and replace with another. Who knows how long it may take them to send a replacement or decide if it is a warranty or not.

But, I would not drive it like that if it were me...

·
Registered
876 Posts
...I would say that driving with a coil like that is NOT safe...
Absolutely! The coil is really the only thing holding your vehicle "up" in the front in terms of suspension, and it will slip/fail and you will eat [email protected]#t!

More than likely a bad batch of springs form the source heat treater. They've been brought up too high and have become brittle, and in your case have snapped.

I keep all my factory replaced items for just such "what if's." That way I can always swap back in some known safe hardware in the event of a failure in a aftermarket mod.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice
I will have to figure out what to do in the meantime. It won't be going anywhere far for now, especially with my baby on board. :flame:
I hope they will warranty it, because I've spent alot of money on them and I don't think I've wheeled it very hard. Looks like a manufacturing defect to me, but I'm the consumer and they may say differently.

Since it's ICON and not Donahoe may cause a problem, but we will see. I know the new front coils are slightly different then the ones I have on now, so I might have to get the passenger side replaced to match.

I've seen coils snap before, but I can't figure out how this happened where it did. I love the Donahoes and I hope they'll warranty them.

Gery

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got calls in at both ICON and KLM performance. Hopefully they'll call back soon.

Gotta do so errands right now (not in the fj :mecry:) Will post updates
when I get callbacks. Thanks

Gery

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
I've got calls in at both ICON and KLM performance. Hopefully they'll call back soon.

Gotta do so errands right now (not in the fj :mecry:) Will post updates
when I get callbacks. Thanks

Gery
I don't think they're in on the weekend. Their shop is 3 miles from my house if you want me to take a run over just in case. As I understand it, Icon stands behind the DR products. I've had nothing but GREAT experience with them.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
First off....that is NOT normal. I'd have to guess the spring steel was heat treated or peened improperly for it to crack like that.....though they may try to say your suspension is set up wrong....

Regardless, it needs to be changed. However, I wouldn't be very concerned about getting it done right away. It's still driveable. Where's it going to go if the broken piece falls out? The shock contains the coil anyway....the only real concern I see is that it may drop enough that the tire wedges in the wheel well....but I don't know how close you are to that happening with the suspension in perfect working order so it's hard to say.

They should definitely warranty the coil. That shouldn't have ever happened.

Sean

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think they're in on the weekend. Their shop is 3 miles from my house if you want me to take a run over just in case. As I understand it, Icon stands behind the DR products. I've had nothing but GREAT experience with them.
Thanks for the offer, but I should be able to take care of things with a couple conversations on Monday

One thing, I think I should of posted this in the suspension section of the forum
but it's probably okay here too. Sorry

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off....that is NOT normal. I'd have to guess the spring steel was heat treated or peened improperly for it to crack like that.....though they may try to say your suspension is set up wrong....

Regardless, it needs to be changed. However, I wouldn't be very concerned about getting it done right away. It's still driveable. Where's it going to go if the broken piece falls out? The shock contains the coil anyway....the only real concern I see is that it may drop enough that the tire wedges in the wheel well....but I don't know how close you are to that happening with the suspension in perfect working order so it's hard to say.

They should definitely warranty the coil. That shouldn't have ever happened.

Sean

Thanks for the info. I've been driving it around like this for a while (I am assuming). I will limit my driving to local for now.

Gery

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Gees Gerry you've got to take it a little easier. It probably happened at Rausch because there was that guy behind you in the Titanium pushing you too hard.:wave: I'm sure they'll have you send it to them for rebuild on their dime except for shipping. Donahoe/Icon has awesome customer service. I actually had Craig Donahoe e-mail me when I had problems with my UCA's. Dylan is awesome too. I don't recall those UCA's being on your rig at Rausch? Hope all is well.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
If you still have your stock fronts you could swap them in in the meantime. You'll need to take that one out anyway.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Since the spring is the support for that corner of the vehicle, rather than the shock, it is not safe.

The spring has already failed under 'normal' conditions; the word normal no longer being applicable. You have a pretty convincing argument that the spring was compromised from the start. And what remains of of the whole assembly is a big basket of unknown quantity!

I've seen the result of an unexpected suspension failure (sudden and uncontrolled trip off the road) and don't recommend it.

The specter of your wheel suddenly wedging in the wheel well due to further failure, especially with your child aboard is not one I care to envision. Add to that, should liability become an issue, you've provided photographic evidence that you are aware of the issue.

I vote park now and fix, then get back out and enjoy yourself once repairs have been affected.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Since the spring is the support for that corner of the vehicle, rather than the shock, it is not safe.

The spring has already failed under 'normal' conditions; the word normal no longer being applicable. You have a pretty convincing argument that the spring was compromised from the start. And what remains of of the whole assembly is a big basket of unknown quantity!

I've seen the result of an unexpected suspension failure (sudden and uncontrolled trip off the road) and don't recommend it.

The specter of your wheel suddenly wedging in the wheel well due to further failure, especially with your child aboard is not one I care to envision. Add to that, should liability become an issue, you've provided photographic evidence that you are aware of the issue.

I vote park now and fix, then get back out and enjoy yourself once repairs have been affected.
x2. It's just not worth it.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
That's pretty crazy, must have been doing some dukes of hazard stuff to be breaking coils.:rocker:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of the replies.
I just sold my Z3 and that was the backup ride, I guess it's bad timing.
The fj is going nowhere for the time being. I don't want to do any further damage. My new "backup" ride is on its way from the west coast. (More on that later) and I'll have something to drive in. :lol:

If this did happen at Rausch, I've been driving like this for at least a thousand miles without feeling any difference in the ride. I've even had her in at Toyota for an oil change and they didn't say anything, but they weren't looking in that area. Looking at the oxidation on the coil assures me this happpened a while back.

Slither (Pete) I think you did push me over the edge, but I don't think anyone was as crazy as John or Rick that day! Yes I did have the DR UCA's on, but they were probably covered in mud :lol:. I don't think I did anything out of the ordinary to do this. Didn't land hard off anything that I could remember that would snap the coil. It's crazy that I've been driving like this without noticing anything at all. I would probably still be driving around if I didn't by chance look at the gear underneath. I was looking for rust issues actually and I saw this and was like WTF!

I still have my stock OEM coils, shocks and UCA's and depending what I hear from ICON, will determine what I do. I'm pretty heavy up front (Winch, ARB and Buds underneath) with 295 MTs so the stock stuff might not be useable. Man I might have to put back my 265s duellers back on :flame:

What a PITA.
Thanks again for all the advice and I will stay on the safe side and not use the fj unless it's absolutely necessary (and without my kid on board)

Gery

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
From what I understand DR had a very small batch of bad coils. I have only seen a couple like this but they will take care of it. Give them a call on Monday. If you have time I would pull them off now and get both swapped out.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Damn, never seen that before.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts